How Do You Calculate Tension in Ropes on a Frictionless Ramp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Smessy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Smessy
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Two boxes with different masses M1 = 0.5 kg and M2 = 2.8 kg are tied together on a frictionless ramp surface which makes an angle = 29° with the horizontal.

What is the tension in the rope connecting the two boxes? _____N
What is the tension in the rope connecting the first box to the ramp? ______ N

Ok, so I thought for the second part of the problem you would take M1 x g x sin29, however I do not think this is correct. Therefore I am completely stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org