How Do You Calculate the Difference in Cardinalities of Sets A and B?

  • Thread starter Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Scalar Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
V0ODO0CH1LD
Messages
278
Reaction score
0
Scalar multiplying a set??

Homework Statement



Let A and B be two finite non-empty sets such that A [itex]\subset[/itex] B and n({C : C [itex]\subset[/itex] B\A}) = 128. Then what is the value of n(B) - n(A)?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I actually got to 7 by assuming that n was multiplying the cardinality of C, but I am not sure if that is what happens. What does it mean to have a scalar multiplying a set? Or is n not a scalar in this case?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


V0ODO0CH1LD said:

Homework Statement



Let A and B be two finite non-empty sets such that A [itex]\subset[/itex] B and n({C : C [itex]\subset[/itex] B\A}) = 128. Then what is the value of n(B) - n(A)?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I actually got to 7 by assuming that n was multiplying the cardinality of C, but I am not sure if that is what happens. What does it mean to have a scalar multiplying a set? Or is n not a scalar in this case?
I don't read this as "n times a set" but as "the number of elements in set <whatever>". Check your book or notes for exactly what this notation means.
 


Mark44 said:
I don't read this as "n times a set" but as "the number of elements in set <whatever>". Check your book or notes for exactly what this notation means.

That actually makes a lot of sense! I checked my book and n(A) is a notation for the cardinality of A. But the funny thing is that the answer would still be 7, even though I carried the notation around as if it were a multiplication.

If C = P(B\A) where P(B/A) is the power set of B\A. Then n(C : {C [itex]\subset[/itex] A\B}) = P(B\A) = 2n(B\A) = 128 = 27.

Therefore n(B\A) = 7.

n(B\A) = n(B) - n(A) if A [itex]\subset[/itex] B.

Is that still correct?
 


V0ODO0CH1LD said:
That actually makes a lot of sense! I checked my book and n(A) is a notation for the cardinality of A. But the funny thing is that the answer would still be 7, even though I carried the notation around as if it were a multiplication.

If C = P(B\A) where P(B/A) is the power set of B\A. Then n(C : {C [itex]\subset[/itex] A\B}) = P(B\A) = 2n(B\A) = 128 = 27.

Therefore n(B\A) = 7.

n(B\A) = n(B) - n(A) if A [itex]\subset[/itex] B.

Is that still correct?

Yes, it is. I'm not sure how you got it by misunderstanding the notation, but ok.