How Do You Calculate the Effective Half-life of a Radioactive Isotope?

  • Thread starter Thread starter larianne
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Half-life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 13K views
larianne
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If a patient is given a radioactive isotope which has a half-life of six days and a biological half-life of ten days, what is the effective half-life for the isotope.


Homework Equations



I know the formula for half-life calculations is T1/2 = 0.693/k

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know where to start with this. My tutor just briefly went over it. It was a question on a past paper so I just want it covered in case it comes up in my exams.

Any help I'd be grateful. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
larianne said:

Homework Statement


If a patient is given a radioactive isotope which has a half-life of six days and a biological half-life of ten days, what is the effective half-life for the isotope.

Homework Equations



I know the formula for half-life calculations is T1/2 = 0.693/k

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know where to start with this. My tutor just briefly went over it. It was a question on a past paper so I just want it covered in case it comes up in my exams.

Any help I'd be grateful. Thanks.

For what you are asking I think it works something like this:

N = No*e-t/T1*e-t/T2 = No*e-t/T1+t/T2 = No*et/T

Where 1/T = 1/T1 + 1/T2
 
Last edited: