Calculating 'half-life' *help : /

• Thread starter MrChaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary, the conversation was about a question regarding the half-life of a certain isotope based on measurements of its radioactivity. The equation N = N0 e^-lambda*t was used to solve the question and the final answer was T1/2 = 3.48 days.
MrChaos
Hello :)

I came across a question and I haven't been able to solve it so far. It would be great if maybe someone could give me a few tips.

Here is the question:

Measurements of the radioactivity of a certain isotope tell you that the decay rate
decreases from 8305 decays per minute to 3070 decays per minute over a period of 5.00
days.

What is the half-life T1/2 of this isotope?

How can I get the right answer for this question? I never really worked with those half-life
questions. I am still interested how it works.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MrChaos and welcome to PF. Please observe our rules and use the template for posting requests for help with homework.

What equation do you know that relates activity to time and half-life>

umm...

N = N0 e-lambda*t

i'm not sure if this ones right

T1/2= ln 2/lambda

mission impossible now complete
on my last attempt i got it right

ln (R_1/R_2)= lambda*deltat
ln (8305/3070)= lambda*5days
0.995180181= lambda*5days
0.995180181*1/5 = 0.19903636 = lambda

lambda*T= ln 2= 0.6931
0.6931/0.19903636= T
T_1/2= 3.482283978
= 3.48 days

:)

Hello!

Calculating the half-life of an isotope involves using the decay rate and the time period over which the decay occurs. In this case, we have a starting decay rate of 8305 decays per minute and an ending decay rate of 3070 decays per minute over a period of 5.00 days. To calculate the half-life, we can use the following equation: T1/2 = (ln 2)/λ.

First, we need to find the decay constant (λ) by using the decay rate and the time period. We can do this by using the following equation: λ = (ln N2/N1)/t, where N2 is the final decay rate, N1 is the initial decay rate, and t is the time period. Plugging in our values, we get: λ = (ln 3070/8305)/5.00 = -0.0862 days^-1.

Now, we can plug this value into the equation for half-life to get: T1/2 = (ln 2)/(-0.0862 days^-1) = 8.05 days. This means that the half-life of this isotope is 8.05 days.

I hope this helps and provides some guidance on how to approach half-life calculations. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Related to Calculating 'half-life' *help : /

What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a substance to decay or disappear. It is a measure of the rate at which a substance decays.

How do you calculate half-life?

To calculate half-life, you need to know the initial amount of the substance and the rate at which it decays. Then, you can use the formula t1/2 = ln(2)/λ, where t1/2 is half-life, ln(2) is the natural log of 2, and λ is the decay rate.

What units are used to measure half-life?

Half-life is typically measured in units of time, such as seconds, minutes, hours, or years, depending on the substance being studied.

How does half-life affect radioactive materials?

Half-life is an important factor in understanding the behavior and potential dangers of radioactive materials. The longer the half-life of a substance, the longer it will take for it to decay and become less radioactive.

What factors can affect the half-life of a substance?

The half-life of a substance can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. It may also vary depending on the type of decay the substance undergoes.