How Do You Calculate the Loudness Factor (\cal F) for Different Frequencies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter roldy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
roldy
Messages
206
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Determine the loudness level and loudness of a 100 Hz tone with an intensity level of 60 dB ref. [tex]10^{-12 } W/m^2[/tex].

Homework Equations


[tex]Loudness=N=0.046\times10^{L_N/30}[/tex]
[tex]Loudness Level=L_N=L_I+30log{\cal F}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I would be able to solve this problem if I only new how to obtain [tex]\cal F[/tex]. My book says that it is an empirically determine parameter depending only on frequency. I've tried looking in the book but it is of no help. What does [tex]\cal F[/tex] mean and how do I obtain it?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... well, I can't say for sure without more information about the exact meanings of the variables in your formulas, but I suspect that [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex] might be some sort of weighting function. Basically it's a term that compensates for the fact that the human ear perceives sound waves of the same intensity at different frequencies as having different volumes.
 
I forgot to mention that [tex]L_I[/tex] is the intensity level.