How Do You Calculate the Potential Difference Between Coaxial Conductors?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the potential difference between the inner and outer conductors of a co-axial with specific diameters and line charge densities. The electric field and potential equations for continuous cylindrically symmetric charge distributions and conductors are used to solve for the potential difference. The presence of charge on the outer radius adds complexity to the solution.
Seda

Homework Statement

A co-axial consists of .002m diameter inner conductor and an outer conductor of .016m diameter (thickness is negligible). If the conductors carry line charge densities of +/- 5.6*10^-10 C/m, what is the magnitude of the potential difference between them.

Homework Equations

I know that the electric field for any continuous cylindrically symmetric charge distribution with linear charge density L

E= L/(2*pi*constant*r)

-----

I know that the electric field at the surface of any conductor is (Surface charge density)/constant.

I Know that Potential= -SE* dl

S is integral sign.

Constant is the permutivity constant, I don't know how to put the symbol on here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that the magnitude of the electric potential outside of any line of charge

E= L/(2*pi*constant) times ln(rb/ra) where rb is radius outside line and ra is the radius of the distribution. Its the fact that the outside radius in this case is also charge which is throwing me off

Physics news on Phys.org
It may help you that inside long cylinder with homogeneous charge density E=0.

What is an electric potential problem?

An electric potential problem is a type of problem in physics that involves calculating the potential energy of an electric field. This is typically done by finding the work required to move a unit charge from one point to another within the field.

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is the volt (V). It is defined as the amount of potential energy per unit charge in an electric field.

How is electric potential related to electric potential energy?

Electric potential is directly related to electric potential energy. Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge, so it is essentially a measure of the electric potential energy at a specific point in the field.

What are some real-world applications of electric potential problems?

Electric potential problems are used in various real-world applications, such as designing electrical circuits, calculating the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field, and determining the electric potential of different points in an electric field. They are also important in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles in different environments, such as in the human body or in space.