How Do You Calculate the Pressure Gradient in a Tube with Flowing Orange Juice?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 15K views
corinnab
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
a very dilute orange juice flows along a smooth tube (0.010m in diameter) with a maximum flow rate of 0.1m/s.
a) State the assumptions needed to solve the problem
b) Calculate the pressure gradient

Equations:
Vmax = (Change in P * R^2)/(4*viscosity*L)

Reynolds number = (density*D*v)/viscosity

I am a bit confused about how to solve this as I havn't done any engineering before. This is what I have come up with so far:

a) Assume laminar flow - Reynolds number = 2100
Assume Newtonian fluid
Assume density of dilute orange juice is same as for water.

b) Use Reynolds number to solve for viscosity. Then solve for change in pressure/L using Vmax equation.

Any help would be appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Reynolds number is not always 2100 for laminar flow. You need to calculate the Re for this particular flow. Google Darcy-Weisbach correlation