How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Satellite in Orbit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Neek 007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Satellite Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 23K views
Neek 007
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the speed of a satellite moving in a stable circular orbit about the Earth at a height of 3600 km.

Homework Equations


v2=Gm/r
F=(Gm1m2/r2
g=(Gm)/r2
G=6.67x10-11Nm2/kg2
rE=6380km=6.3x106m----(Radius of Earth)
mE=5.98x1024kg---------(Mass of Earth)

The Attempt at a Solution



Changed height of satellite to 3.6x106m
I think I can assume the height as the radius.

I come up on blanks on what to do from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational attraction must provide the centripetal acceleration for the circular orbit:

GMEm/R2 = mv2/R

So,

v2= GME/(RE + h)

And yes, the height/radius are the same. Just plug in the info you have and solve!