How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Wave on a Rope?

  • Thread starter Thread starter seker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Speed Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
seker
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A vibrating rope has a linear density of 0.075 kg/m. If a tension of 35 N is applied to the rope what will be the speed of a wave traveling along the rope?


Homework Equations



[tex]v=\sqrt\frac{F}{m/L}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



Just wanted to see if I am headed in the right direction.

[tex]v=\sqrt{35/0.075}[/tex]

v= 25 m/s
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello seker,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

seker said:

Homework Statement



A vibrating rope has a linear density of 0.075 kg/m. If a tension of 35 N is applied to the rope what will be the speed of a wave traveling along the rope?


Homework Equations



[tex]v=\sqrt\frac{F}{m/L}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



Just wanted to see if I am headed in the right direction.

[tex]v=\sqrt{35/0.075}[/tex]
'Looks right to me so far. :approve:
v= 25 m/s
:rolleyes: Try calculating that again.
 
Thanks! Have not done Physics in so long and now have a bunch I need to do.

V= 21.6 ?
 
seker said:
Thanks! Have not done Physics in so long and now have a bunch I need to do.

V= 21.6 ?
That looks better. :approve: