How Do You Calculate the Total Acceleration of a Point on a Spinning Disk?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Jimmy25
Messages
69
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A spinning disk has an angular velocity (Va) of 2 rad/s and an angular acceleration (Aa) of 3 rad/s2. A point on the disk (x) is 1 m from the center of the disk. What is the magnitude of this point x's acceleration in m/s2?

Is it the sum of the the tangential acceleration plus the centripetal acceleration?

The Attempt at a Solution



Using the angular acceleration and point x's radius I found it's acceleration to be 3 m/s^2

Then, using Ac = V2 / r, I found the centripetal acceleration to be 4 m/s2.

Now that I have these values do I add their scalar values or their vector values?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org