How Do You Calculate Torque to Stop and Reverse a Water-Filled Cylinder?

  • Thread starter Thread starter billinr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder Rotating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
billinr
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
The issue I have is in a system design where I need to find the torque requirement to stop and reverse direction on a spinning cylinder of water (laundry wash machine). The system data I have:

Homework Statement


Water filled cylinder, 564mm diameter
Given weight of load is 170lbs
Spinning at 95 RPM for 1 second, decelerate for 0.25 seconds, reverse direction to 95 RPM
Repeat
Drive Pulley (where torque is applied) is 250mm diameter


Homework Equations



T=@I
Where T= torque, @=angular accel, I=inertia (?)

The Attempt at a Solution


Couldn't say because I really have no idea. (this was far from my strong classes many years ago!)
The force of the spinning drum pushes the drive belt along, and causes it to slip on the motor. I am tasked with finding the correct belt to compensate for the load. I am able to develop the belt mechanics, but I am lost on how to find the forces on the pulley resulting from the moving drum load.

Any help in finding this value would be appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
. The torque required to stop and reverse the spinning cylinder can be calculated using the equation:T = F x r,where F is the force of the load on the spinning cylinder and r is the radius of the drive pulley. Using the given data, the torque required can be calculated as follows:T = (170 lbs) x (0.125 m)T = 21.25 Nm To calculate the angular acceleration, use the equation:@ = (T/I),where T is the torque and I is the moment of inertia of the spinning cylinder. The moment of inertia can be calculated as follows:I = mR2,where m is the mass of the spinning cylinder and R is its radius. Using the given data, the moment of inertia can be calculated as follows:I = (170 lbs)(0.282 m)2I = 15.51 kgm2 Therefore, the angular acceleration can be calculated as follows:@ = (21.25 Nm)/(15.51 kgm2)@ = 1.37 rad/s2