How do you convert temperature differences between Celsius and Kelvin?

In summary, the temperature difference between the inside and the outside of a home on a cold winter day is 57.0°F. To express this in Celsius, you can use the equation Tf = (9/5) delta Tc, which gives a temperature difference of 31.67°C. To convert this to Kelvin, you do not need to add 273, as the size of a degree Celsius and a Kelvin are the same. Therefore, the temperature difference in Kelvin is also 31.67K. The zero point of the scale does not matter when measuring a temperature difference.
lizlyn

Homework Statement

The temperature difference between the inside and the outside of a home on a cold winter day is 57.0°F.

express in C and in K

Homework Equations

Tf = (9/5) delta Tc
Tc = Tk - 273.15

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation to find that the temp difference in C is 31.67
I then thought that you added 273 to that temperature to find Kelvin but on my homework the answer key said that the correct answer is 31.67K ... i don't understand how the two can be equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
The size of a kelvin and the size of a degree C are the same (by definition) they are only different in where you start counting from

If you are measuring a temperature difference does the zero point of the scale matter?

lizlyn said:
Tf = (9/5) delta Tc

That's to convert changes in temperature between Celsius and Fahrenheit scales.

Related to How do you convert temperature differences between Celsius and Kelvin?

1. What is the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit?

The formula for converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit is: (°C * 9/5) + 32 = °F

2. How do I convert Kelvin to Celsius?

To convert from Kelvin to Celsius, subtract 273.15 from the Kelvin temperature.

3. Why is it important to know how to convert between temperature units?

Knowing how to convert between temperature units allows for clearer communication and understanding between individuals from different regions or backgrounds. It also allows for easier comparison and analysis of data from various sources.

4. Can I use a calculator to convert temperatures?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert temperatures by entering the appropriate formula for the conversion you want to make.

5. Is there a difference between converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit to Celsius?

Yes, there is a difference between the two conversions. The formula for converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit involves multiplication and addition, while the formula for converting from Fahrenheit to Celsius involves subtraction and division.