1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Celsius to Kelvin conversion problem (Kinetic theory)

1. Feb 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the temperature T that allows the rms speed of a gas to be equal to another gas with T=47°C.
    The molecular mass of the first gas is 64, and the molecular mass of the second gas is 32.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]v_{rms}= \sqrt{\frac{3RT}{M}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem is actually very easy. It's actually really simple to conclude that
    [tex]T_1=2T_2[/tex]. However, my problem arises when actually replacing the given temperature.
    If I take the second temperature to equal 47°C, then the first temperature is equal to 94°C. And converting that to kelvin gives 367.15 K.
    However, if instead I use directly the temperature in K (47+273.15), then my answer becomes 640.3 K.
    Which one is right? I assume the second one because in order for the equation to make sense, T needs to be expressed in K. I'd like to be sure, however.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Well, that depends which gas you label 1, and which you label 2.

Think about this: what if the temperature was 0 °C instead of 47 °C.

4. Feb 19, 2016 #3
    That would make the other temperature zero. Understood! Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted