How Do You Deal With Unsolvable Problems?

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggle with two chemistry problems that they are unable to solve and unable to get help on. They express feelings of failure and ask for advice on how to handle such situations. Other students share their own experiences and suggest reaching out to professors for help and starting homework earlier. The conversation also touches on the idea of working on unsolved problems and knowing when to quit and move on.
Lancelot59
Well after the first initial panic at the start of the semester I've calmed down and settled into a pile of what I think so far is fail.

Take this last weekend for instance. I spent the whole weekend trying to solve TWO problems from a chemistry assignment. Unfortunately nobody on the forums go to it, but that's not the issue. How do you guys deal with things you have no clue how to solve, and can't get any help on?

Said assignment is due first thing in the morning for marks. I probably won't be able to get help from my prof to get them solved, and there's just a feeling of failure over these. I should be able to do them using what I know, but I can't.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let it go. Plus you probably want to start doing homework earlier then the weekend its due haha.

Lancelot59 wrote:
Take this last weekend for instance. I spent the whole weekend trying to solve TWO problems from a chemistry assignment. Unfortunately nobody on the forums go to it, but that's not the issue. How do you guys deal with things you have no clue how to solve, and can't get any help on?
Which one? The Beer's Law problem or the combustion problem? There are already 12 postings on the Beer's Law one.

Lancelot59, I just read your combustion analysis gas problem and gave a comment there. Although I am no longer skillful with gas problem exercises, the problem description is missing too much information. Based on this, you apparently correctly called it an unsolvable problem. The description needs enough information to determine initial conditions and final conditions.

Oh, the beers law one I managed to solve with Borek bouncing things at me till the light went on.

@Pengwuino: I always try to start on stuff as soon as I can. This week however was a bit packed. I had actually started on it, but I hadn't reached those questions before the weekend.

The thing that really gets me down is that I'll be losing marks for these two problems.

Yah you should just let it go until you can get help from a professor, even if you lose points. It happens, no one's perfect. One tip I would say is to look over every problem you get as soon as you get it so you can ask professors for some insight (after doing a little work on any problems that look hard) into the problems before they are unaccessable.

Trust me i had the same problem. What i do know is always ask the teacher for help and always do my homework cause math, phyiscs and chem are all subjects were you need to know the previous work to continue.

Good Luck.

Lancelot59 said:
<snip>
How do you guys deal with things you have no clue how to solve, and can't get any help on?

<snip>

Sounds like the real-world. Unsolved problems are the only ones someone will pay you to work on. Notice I said "work on", not solve.

Personally, I do as much background research as possible (previous attempts to solve the problem) and then start talking to people who know more than I. That helps weed out the obvious dead-ends, and highlight a couple promising approaches. Then I just jump in. Hopefully, I can make some progress (or figure out how to make some progress). But it's also good to know when to quit and move on to something else.

1. How do you define an "unsolvable problem" in the scientific world?

An unsolvable problem in the scientific world refers to a question or issue that cannot be solved using current scientific knowledge, technology, or methods. It may also refer to a problem that is beyond the scope of human understanding.

2. What are some common strategies or approaches scientists use to tackle unsolvable problems?

Scientists may use a combination of creativity, critical thinking, experimentation, collaboration with other experts, and persistence to tackle unsolvable problems. They may also seek out new technologies or theories that could potentially provide solutions.

3. Can you provide an example of an unsolvable problem that has been solved in the past?

One example of an unsolvable problem that has been solved in the past is the structure of DNA. Before the discovery of DNA's double-helix structure in 1953, scientists were unable to solve the mystery of how genetic information was passed down from generation to generation.

4. How do you prevent frustration and maintain motivation when faced with an unsolvable problem?

To prevent frustration and maintain motivation, scientists may take breaks from the problem, seek inspiration from other fields or experts, and remind themselves of the potential impact of solving the problem. They may also focus on making incremental progress and celebrate small victories.

5. Are there any benefits to encountering unsolvable problems in scientific research?

Yes, encountering unsolvable problems in scientific research can lead to the discovery of new knowledge, technologies, or methods. It can also push scientists to think outside the box and stimulate new ideas and approaches. Additionally, the process of attempting to solve unsolvable problems can enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills.