How do you deal with the feeling of not wanting to study?

• Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, when you don't feel like studying, you do what works for you, whether that is going for a short run or taking a break.
CivilSigma
As a student, I get those days when I don't feel like sitting down to do my homework or assignments willingly. However, I end up forcing myself to sit down to complete them. This leads me to getting wrong answer and makes me more frustrated.

What have you done when you felt like this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
sakonpure6 said:
How do you deal with the feeling of not wanting to study?

You study anyway.

Likes davidbenari and CivilSigma
I think just about everyone has those days. You're never going to be completely motivated to do EVERYTHING that you have to do.

That's where self-discipline comes in. Over time, making homework and study part of your regular routine will make it easier.

Also, if you find that the lack of motivation comes too often, it might be time to re-assess whether you really want to be doing what you're doing.

sakonpure6 said:
As a student, I get those days when I don't feel like sitting down to do my homework or assignments willingly. However, I end up forcing myself to sit down to complete them. This leads me to getting wrong answer and makes me more frustrated.

What have you done when you felt like this?

Thank you.

That was years ago.

However to get motivated , I like to go for a short 20 minute run. Doing something physical has always helped my overall mood. Energizes me and gets me out of a 'how hum' listless feeling. This is especially the case on a lazy weekend.

It's been said often but the better we feel physically, the better other parts of our lives.

Anyways, good to break the pattern of just staring at your computer or some book. Refresh your body and brain then your homework or study may not be quite the chore.

It depends. There are times that I don't want to study too. A lot of the time I just study anyway. Life is full of deadlines, and sometimes we simply have to do things now or else they'll never get done. Sometimes all I need is a 20-30 minute break to go take a walk, have a coffee break, check Facebook, etc. Oftentimes this short break helps me clear my head and get back to it with more focus.

Other times I don't feel like studying and I just take the night off. Note that this often isn't a good idea though. If I don't have any assignments due or any immediately pending exams, then it may not be an issue. But if I have an exam the next morning, taking the night off likely isn't a very good idea.

Likes Dishsoap

1. How do you motivate yourself to study when you don't feel like it?

One way to motivate yourself is to set specific and achievable goals for your study session. This can give you a sense of direction and purpose, making it easier to focus and stay motivated. Another tip is to find a study buddy or accountability partner who can help keep you on track and provide support and encouragement.

2. How do you overcome procrastination when it comes to studying?

Procrastination is a common challenge when it comes to studying. To overcome it, try breaking your study session into smaller, manageable chunks and taking short breaks in between. This can help prevent burnout and make the task seem less daunting. Also, try to eliminate distractions and create a quiet and comfortable study space to help you stay focused.

3. What are some effective study techniques for when you don't feel like studying?

Different study techniques work for different people, so it's important to find what works best for you. Some effective techniques include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, using flashcards or other visual aids to help with memorization, and actively engaging with the material through practice problems or discussions with others.

4. How do you deal with the guilt of not studying?

Feeling guilty about not studying can be counterproductive and can actually make it harder to get back on track. Instead of dwelling on the guilt, try to reframe your thoughts and focus on the positive steps you can take moving forward. Remember that breaks and rest are important for productivity, and try to find a balance between studying and taking care of yourself.

5. What are some tips for staying motivated and focused during a long study session?

To stay motivated and focused during a long study session, it's important to take breaks and switch up your study methods. Try to incorporate different activities, such as taking a short walk or stretching, to help you stay alert and avoid burnout. Additionally, make sure to stay hydrated and nourished, and try to avoid distractions like social media or your phone.