How Do You Determine Displacement and Rotation at Point A in a Beam?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
kasse
Messages
383
Reaction score
1
A beam AB has constant EI and u(x) describes the deformation:

http://www.badongo.com/pic/625051

The first task here is to show that there's no displacement or rotation at A. For the case of the displacement, I guess I can do that simply by replacing x with 0 in the u(x)-equation?

But how about the rotation? What is meant by that? Is it the same as slope?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kasse said:
A beam AB has constant EI and u(x) describes the deformation:

http://www.badongo.com/pic/625051

The first task here is to show that there's no displacement or rotation at A. For the case of the displacement, I guess I can do that simply by replacing x with 0 in the u(x)-equation?

But how about the rotation? What is meant by that? Is it the same as slope?


Yes and yes the first derivative du(x)/dx is the rotation or slope (Remember that for small angles [itex]\tan \theta \approx \theta[/itex])
 
Last edited by a moderator: