How do you determine the sign of a magnetic field?

In summary, the problem involves determining the resultant magnetic field on a line between two parallel wires carrying opposite currents, as well as the force per meter on a third wire in their plane. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule, and there is no fundamental sign convention for the direction of the field. It is best to think in terms of vectors and use the right-hand rule to determine the directions. The final answers should be stated in terms of magnitude and a clear direction.
Vladi

Homework Statement

Two long fixed parallel wires, A and B, are 10 cm apart in air and carry 40 A and 20 A, respectively, in opposite directions. Determine the resultant field (a) on a line midway between the wires and parallel to them and (b) on a line 8.0 cm from wire A and 18 cm from wire B. (c) What is the force per meter on a third long wire, midway between A and B and in their plane, when it carries a current of 5.0 A in the same direction as the current in A?

Homework Equations

Fm=(I)(L)(B)*sin(theta)
B=(Uo*I)/(2*pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

How do you determine the sign of a magnetic field? I can calculate a magnetic field. How do you calculate a resultant field? I guessed the signs and put them on the paper, but I have no clue why they belong there. The answers are within the uploads. I am only concerned about parts a and b.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 784
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 744
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 702
Physics news on Phys.org
Electric and magnetic fields are vector quantities. A vector doesn't really have a sign. It has a magnitude (always positive) and a direction. (However, the component of a vector along a coordinate axis, such as Bx, can be positive or negative.)

You need to determine the direction of the B field produced by each wire at the location of the point of interest. You probably covered a right-hand rule for doing this. The total field at the point of interest will be the vector sum of the fields due to each wire.

Likes Vladi
Is there some sort of sign convention I should be following? Is a magnetic field into the page considered to be positive and out of the page considered to be negative? If so, I'll just use the right hand rule. Thank you for your time.

Vladi said:
Is there some sort of sign convention I should be following? Is a magnetic field into the page considered to be positive and out of the page considered to be negative?
One could adopt a sign convention for a particular problem. But there is no fundamental reason why a certain direction would be considered to be "positive".
If so, I'll just use the right hand rule. Thank you for your time.
I think it's best to think in terms of vectors and use the right-hand rule to determine the directions of the vectors.

TSny said:
One could adopt a sign convention for a particular problem. But there is no fundamental reason why a certain direction would be considered to be "positive". I think it's best to think in terms of vectors and use the right-hand rule to determine the directions of the vectors.
I used the right hand rule to determine where the magnetic field is in and out. I used a sign convention and came up with the right answers. Please look at the attachments. Do my diagrams make sense?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 515
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 490
OK, I think your work is correct. (I haven't checked the actual numerical evaluations.) But it looks to me like you are using x's to denote out of the page and dots to indicate into the page. This is opposite to the usual convention.

Just to check, let me ask if you are using the "conventional current direction" in which current is in the direction that positive charge would flow. Or are you using the convention where current is in the direction that electrons are flowing?

The answers I wrote down are correct (I got them from the back of the book). Because I was guessing which signs were correct at first, I wanted to make sure I could determine the signs using a diagram. If the diagram is good, I think I understand this problem. My issue was understanding the right hand rule. I also need to make sure to follow the right convention. Dots mean out of the page. X's mean into the page.
TSny said:
Just to check, let me ask if you are using the "conventional current direction" in which current is in the direction that positive charge would flow. Or are you using the convention where current is in the direction that electrons are flowing?
I believe we are supposed to use conventional current direction. Point your thumb in the direction of the current. Place your fingers across your palm. In this position, the magnetic field is "in the page". If you rotate your wrist about the wire, your fingers will be in the position where the magnetic field is "out of the page".

Just to make sure, what would be the direction of the magnetic field at point ##a## and at point ##b## in the picture below?
upload_2017-9-3_17-17-46.png

TSny said:
Just to make sure, what would be the direction of the magnetic field at point ##a## and at point ##b## in the picture below?
View attachment 210304
B is into the page. A is out of the page.

Vladi said:
B is into the page. A is out of the page.
OK, good. But then, I don't think your drawings in post #5 show the correct directions for the field (assuming dots mean out of the page).

TSny said:
OK, good. But then, I don't think you drawings in post #5 show the correct directions for the field (assuming dots mean out of the page).
If I flip the x's and dots, It should be right.

Vladi said:
If I flip the x's and dots, It should be right. I'll re-post the diagrams

Vladi said:
If I flip the x's and dots, It should be right.
Yes. No need to post a corrected diagram as long as you are sure you understand everything. For your final answers to parts (a) and (b) I would state the answers in terms of a magnitude and a direction, where the direction is very clear (such as "out of the page").

Likes Vladi
TSny said:
Yes. No need to post a corrected diagram as long as you are sure you understand everything. For your final answers to parts (a) and (b) I would state the answers in terms of a magnitude and a direction, where the direction is very clear (such as "out of the page").
Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Vladi said:
Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated.
OK. No problem.

1. How do you determine the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of a magnetic field can be determined by using a compass. The north pole of a compass will be attracted to the south pole of a magnet, indicating the direction of the magnetic field lines.

2. What is the right hand rule for determining the direction of a magnetic field?

The right hand rule is a technique used to determine the direction of a magnetic field. When the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current, the fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does the shape of a magnetic field affect its direction?

The shape of a magnetic field can be affected by the presence of other magnetic fields or materials. The direction of the field lines will always be from the north pole to the south pole of a magnet, but the shape can be distorted or altered depending on the surroundings.

4. Can the sign of a magnetic field change?

Yes, the sign of a magnetic field can change. This can occur when the direction of the current or the orientation of the magnet is reversed. It can also change when moving from one location to another, as the Earth's magnetic field can vary in direction.

5. How is the sign of a magnetic field related to the direction of the current?

The sign of a magnetic field is directly related to the direction of the current. If the current is flowing in one direction, the magnetic field will have a certain sign. If the current is reversed, the sign of the magnetic field will also be reversed.