How do you find how far a belt travels using diameter and rps

In summary, the foot operated sewing machine shown has a driver pulley which is 30cm in diameter and is attached by a belt to a sewing pulley with a 5cm diameter. The sewing machine makes one stitch for each revolution of its sewing pulley. If the driver pulley is replaced by an electric motor with a pulley of diamater 1.5cm, how fast would it need to turn to duplicate the same sewing rate?
daniellen
the foot operated sewing machine shown below has a driver pulley which is 30cm in diameter and is attached by a belt to a sewing pulley with a 5cm diameter. The sewing machine makes one stitch for each revolution of its sewing pulley.
a. The driver pulley is turned easily at one revolution per second.
-how many stitches does the machine make in 10 minutes?
-how far would the belt travel in 10 minutes?
b. if the foot pedal(driver) was replaced by an electric motor with a pulley of diamater 1.5cm, how fast would it need to turn to duplicate the same sewing rate?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what to put here, sorry.

The Attempt at a Solution

for A, I answered: the driver makes 600 rotations per minute. 600*5= 3.000
and for the rest I have no idea how to complete because I was absent for the explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi daniellen! Welcome to PF! :smile:
daniellen said:
a. The driver pulley is turned easily at one revolution per second.
-how many stitches does the machine make in 10 minutes?
-how far would the belt travel in 10 minutes?
b. if the foot pedal(driver) was replaced by an electric motor with a pulley of diamater 1.5cm, how fast would it need to turn to duplicate the same sewing rate?

for A, I answered: the driver makes 600 rotations per minute. 600*5= 3.000
and for the rest I have no idea how to complete because I was absent for the explanation.

Why *5 ? :confused:

The important point is that the belt goes at the same speed as the circumference of every pulley it's attached to (because it's not slipping) …

if it's attached to two pulleys, then their rotations (rpm) have to be such that their circumferences both move at the same speed (cm/s).

Try again. :smile:

I did 5 because it is the diameter but I was not really sure.
So then would you find the circumference of the driver and then multiply it by 600o(because it the driver makes 1 rotation per second and its asking about 10 minutes)

tiny-tim said:
Hi daniellen! Welcome to PF! :smile

Why *5 ? :confused:

The important point is that the belt goes at the same speed as the circumference of every pulley it's attached to (because it's not slipping) …

if it's attached to two pulleys, then their rotations (rpm) have to be such that their circumferences both move at the same speed (cm/s).

Try again. :smile:

Hi daniellen! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
daniellen said:
I did 5 because it is the diameter but I was not really sure.
So then would you find the circumference of the driver and then multiply it by 600o(because it the driver makes 1 rotation per second and its asking about 10 minutes)

No. As I said …
tiny-tim said:

So if the two circumferences have the same speed, then the ratio of their rpms must be … ? :smile:

the ratios would be six. so how do I implement that into finding how many stitches for 10 minutes and the belt?

tiny-tim said:
Hi daniellen! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

No. As I said …

So if the two circumferences have the same speed, then the ratio of their rpms must be … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
daniellen said:
the ratios would be six. so how do I implement that into finding how many stitches for 10 minutes and the belt?

Stitches per minute = revolutions per minute …
daniellen said:
The sewing machine makes one stitch for each revolution of its sewing pulley.

and so … ? :smile:

1. How do you calculate the circumference of the belt?

To find the circumference of the belt, you can use the formula C = πd, where C is the circumference and d is the diameter of the belt.

2. What is RPS and how is it related to the distance traveled by the belt?

RPS stands for revolutions per second, which measures how many times the belt rotates in one second. This is important because the distance traveled by the belt is directly proportional to the number of revolutions it makes.

3. Can I use any unit for the diameter and RPS?

Yes, as long as you use the same unit for both the diameter and RPS. For example, if the diameter is in inches, then the RPS should also be in inches.

4. How do you find the distance traveled by the belt using the diameter and RPS?

The formula for finding the distance traveled by the belt is D = C x R x T, where D is the distance, C is the circumference, R is the RPS, and T is the time in seconds.

5. What if I only have the diameter and RPM instead of RPS?

If you have the RPM (revolutions per minute) instead of RPS, you can convert it to RPS by dividing the RPM by 60. Then, you can use the same formula to find the distance traveled by the belt.