1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find the charge of an atom?

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    Calculate the electrostatic force between a proton and a gold nucleus Au with a distance 7.5x10-13m
    19797Au

The Electrostatic force is (Q1Q2)/4∏ε0d2

Two things I want to know, the charge of the gold and how to find the charge of Atoms!
    All I need to know is the charge, I can do the rest!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2
    Au has 97 protons (and electrons) therefore the charge on the nucleus is +97 x electron charge. The charge on the proton is +1 electron charge
    Electron charge is 1.6 x 10 ^-19 C

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3
    Thanks!

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is what it is but your question was how do you find out? What will you do if the next question is about lead or other element nucleus?

You didn't know that is the atomic number which you will find in every periodic table, not to be confused with atomic mass which you will find in the same table?

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No it does not.

Let's please let the OP find the correct number.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #6
    sorry Redbelly98 and alewisGB!!!! __ protons not 97.
    Very sloppy of me, easy to check with periodic table. I suppose whether it is gold or not is irrelevant, OP should find out what to look for.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
  8. Nov 7, 2011 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I said, let the OP find the correct number. (As you said, it's easy to check with periodic table.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook