How do you find the energy of accelerated electron beams?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joker_900
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beams Electron
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
joker_900
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Hey guys

Apparently I have to know how to find the energy of accelerated electron beams for a test, and I'm not sure how. Any help?

I'm assuming it's talking about electron guns: I think this consists of a heated cathode which emits electrons via thermionic emission, and an anode which accelerates them. But how do you actually get the cathode and anode (i.e. what are the circuits and how does one make each electrode charged). Is the electron beam energy just the voltage between the cathode and anode multiplied by Q (=It)?

Thanks, Jonty
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy is e*V as you suspected, charge of electron times potential difference. The circuits to create a beam for an electron gun can be quite simple. Controlling the beam to do something useful as in a cathode raty tube is a bit more involved.

http://www.matter.org.uk/tem/electron_gun/electron_gun_simulation.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator: