How Do You Calculate Kinetic Energy and Acceleration on a Loop-the-Loop Track?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bulldog23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Block Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 16K views
Can you show me how to set up the equations that I need?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bulldog23 said:
Can you show me how to set up the equations that I need?

You should be able to do this if you made it this far. You already set them up in parts a and b. What is the mechanical energy at P? What is the mechanical energy at A? Then, set these two quantities equal to each other, since you know they are equal, and you should be able to solve for h. As I said, you already did this in part a and b, but there you were just solving for something else. In simplest form then, the equation you want is:

[tex]ME_P=ME_A[/tex]

Again, you should be able to find ME_P and ME_A, since you were able to do this in a) and b).
 
Last edited:
So I do 1/2mv_1^2+mgy_1=1/2mv_2^2+mgy_2? And then I am solving for y_1 right?
 
Last edited:
bulldog23 said:
So I do 1/2mv_1^2+mgy_1=1/2mv_2^2+mgy_2? And then I am solving for y_1 right?

This is correct.