Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find the number of hydrogen bonds between molecules?

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    Hey, I'm wondering how you figure out the number of hydrogen bonds acting between molecules. I know each water molecule supposedly makes 4 hydrogen bonds with other water molecules through my reading, but I want to know how many for isopropyl alcohol, which has only one OH group. I know its less than water based on the properties of the two, but thats it. I think it may be either 1 or 3 but im not sure how to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2
    If it were three, what hydrogens on isopropyl alcohol would be involved in hydrogen bonding?

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3
    Hydrongens in the OH group of other molecules would be used. You could have two H from other molecules bond to the O of the original molecule and then the H (of the original molecule) bonds to the O of another. If that is allowed

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4
    If its H-bonding with only one species present (IE neat EtOH) just look at the molecule and find the H-bond donor(s) and H-bond acceptor(s). It can get much more complicated if there are more than one species present (IE such as a solution or a mixture etc) because other effects, such as sterics and such, may play a role as to what H-bond with what

So for EtOH, we have CH3CH2OH. One H-bond donor, but two lone pairs on the Oxygen can accept 2 H-bonds (from two other molecules of EtOH). So 1 molecule of EtOH can H-bond to three other EtOH molecules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook