How do you find the number of hydrogen bonds between molecules?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 15K views
MeMoses
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Hey, I'm wondering how you figure out the number of hydrogen bonds acting between molecules. I know each water molecule supposedly makes 4 hydrogen bonds with other water molecules through my reading, but I want to know how many for isopropyl alcohol, which has only one OH group. I know its less than water based on the properties of the two, but that's it. I think it may be either 1 or 3 but I am not sure how to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
If it were three, what hydrogens on isopropyl alcohol would be involved in hydrogen bonding?
 
Hydrongens in the OH group of other molecules would be used. You could have two H from other molecules bond to the O of the original molecule and then the H (of the original molecule) bonds to the O of another. If that is allowed
 
If its H-bonding with only one species present (IE neat EtOH) just look at the molecule and find the H-bond donor(s) and H-bond acceptor(s). It can get much more complicated if there are more than one species present (IE such as a solution or a mixture etc) because other effects, such as sterics and such, may play a role as to what H-bond with what

So for EtOH, we have CH3CH2OH. One H-bond donor, but two lone pairs on the Oxygen can accept 2 H-bonds (from two other molecules of EtOH). So 1 molecule of EtOH can H-bond to three other EtOH molecules.