Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you get into physics when you already graduated?

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

I've always had an interest in science, which led me to my current situation as a graduate researcher in a softer science (experimental psychology). I'll be graduating with a Masters degree next semester, and going into a career in human factors psychology. Unfortunately, I never considered studying one of the hard sciences until it was too late, which is what I now regret. I find psychology interesting, but also lacking. I want to learn other scientific disciplines both as a matter of pride, and personal interest.

My question is: If I'm interested in learning about physics, but going back for a degree isn't an option for a number of years, where do I start? I want to go back to school someday, but I don't want to sit around until then either. I only have the opportunity to take a 3 credit elective before graduating at this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2
    You are never bound to any fate nor too late. Self study until you can gather save enough to go back to school.

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3
    Well you can use that 3-credit elective to take physics I and see if you actually like it or not. Physics involves a lot of mathematics and is very different from psychology - you may find that your impression of physics and what physics is actually like are very different.

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4
    I'd say that the math is one of the things I'm more interested in learning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook