How do you get into physics when you already graduated?

• Thread starter dmacfour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Personally, I find psychology interesting, but I think that it could use more rigorous research. So, if I were to study physics, I think I would want to study something that is more rigorous than what is offered in introductory physics classes. I'd say that the math is one of the things I'm more interested in learning. Personally, I find psychology interesting, but I think that it could use more rigorous research. So, if I were to study physics, I think I would want to study something that is more rigorous than what is offered in introductory physics classes.
dmacfour
Hi everyone,

I've always had an interest in science, which led me to my current situation as a graduate researcher in a softer science (experimental psychology). I'll be graduating with a Masters degree next semester, and going into a career in human factors psychology. Unfortunately, I never considered studying one of the hard sciences until it was too late, which is what I now regret. I find psychology interesting, but also lacking. I want to learn other scientific disciplines both as a matter of pride, and personal interest.

My question is: If I'm interested in learning about physics, but going back for a degree isn't an option for a number of years, where do I start? I want to go back to school someday, but I don't want to sit around until then either. I only have the opportunity to take a 3 credit elective before graduating at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
dmacfour said:
I never considered studying one of the hard sciences until it was too late, which is what I now regret.

My question is: If I'm interested in learning about physics, but going back for a degree isn't an option for a number of years, where do I start?

You are never bound to any fate nor too late. Self study until you can gather save enough to go back to school.

Well you can use that 3-credit elective to take physics I and see if you actually like it or not. Physics involves a lot of mathematics and is very different from psychology - you may find that your impression of physics and what physics is actually like are very different.

dipole said:
Well you can use that 3-credit elective to take physics I and see if you actually like it or not. Physics involves a lot of mathematics and is very different from psychology - you may find that your impression of physics and what physics is actually like are very different.

I'd say that the math is one of the things I'm more interested in learning.

I understand your desire to continue learning and expanding your knowledge in different scientific disciplines. It's never too late to pursue your interests in physics, even if you have already graduated with a degree in a different field.

One option is to take online courses or enroll in a local community college to take physics classes. This will allow you to learn at your own pace and without the commitment of a full-time degree program. You can also look into attending workshops or seminars related to physics, which can provide hands-on learning experiences and opportunities to network with other physicists.

Another option is to join a local physics club or organization. These groups often have regular meetings, discussions, and events where you can learn from others who share your passion for physics. You can also consider reaching out to professors or researchers in the field and asking if they would be willing to mentor or guide you in your self-study of physics.

Additionally, there are many online resources available for learning physics, such as textbooks, videos, and interactive simulations. These can be a great way to supplement your self-study and gain a deeper understanding of different concepts in physics.

Lastly, don't discount the value of self-study and experimentation. Physics is a hands-on science, and you can learn a lot by conducting your own experiments and exploring different concepts on your own. This can also be a great way to build your skills and knowledge before potentially pursuing a degree in the future.

In summary, there are many ways to continue learning about physics after you have graduated. It may require some self-motivation and dedication, but with the right resources and opportunities, you can expand your knowledge and understanding of this fascinating field. Good luck on your journey into physics!

1. How do I start a career in physics after graduating?

There are several steps you can take to start a career in physics after graduating. First, you can look for internships or entry-level positions in research labs or companies that specialize in physics. You can also consider pursuing a graduate degree in physics to gain more experience and make yourself more competitive in the job market. Networking with professionals in the field and attending conferences or workshops can also help you make connections and find job opportunities.

2. Can I still pursue a career in physics if I did not major in it?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in physics even if you did not major in it. Many graduate programs in physics accept students from diverse backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in math and science. You can also consider taking additional courses or completing a post-baccalaureate program in physics to supplement your knowledge and skills.

3. Are there any prerequisites for getting into a graduate program in physics?

Most graduate programs in physics require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as engineering or mathematics. They also typically require a strong background in math, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some programs may also require applicants to have taken specific physics courses, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

4. How important are research experiences for getting into physics after graduating?

Research experiences can be very important for getting into physics after graduating. They not only provide valuable hands-on experience in a specific area of physics, but they also demonstrate your interest and dedication to the field. Additionally, research experience can make you stand out among other applicants for graduate programs or job opportunities. If you did not have the opportunity to conduct research during your undergraduate studies, you can consider reaching out to professors or research labs to inquire about volunteer or internship opportunities.

5. What skills do I need to have to succeed in a career in physics?

Aside from a strong foundation in math and science, successful physicists also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team. They are also curious, detail-oriented, and persistent in their pursuit of answers. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages and computer skills are becoming increasingly important in the field of physics. As you progress in your career, strong communication and presentation skills will also be essential for sharing your research findings and collaborating with others.