Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you guys get qoutes under your posts?

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    This site has it all, but I'm still pretty new to it and a lot things I have yet to figure out. How in the world do you guys (and girls) get those qoutes under your posts?
    :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

look in your profile settings for signature....

4. Aug 16, 2016 #3

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Gold Members have the option to use a signature.

5. Aug 18, 2016 #4
    figured, thank you y'alll have been so helpful :partytime:

6. Aug 18, 2016 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

"Quotes under your posts"? Is this to mean, quotes of other members' messages? Just click on Reply, or copy and past, and put the quotation tags around what you want shown as a quote if missing.

square left bracket, QUOTE,square right bracket, stringToBeQuoted,square left bracket, forwardslash,QUOTE,square right bracket

7. Aug 18, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

[quote]text[/quote] (to show the code like this, you can write [plain][quote]text[/quote][/plain], and to show this code... well you get the idea. Quote my post to see the full code).

But I'm quite sure TheQuietOne means signatures:
    ##\Downarrow##

8. Aug 18, 2016 #7
    yes... I do

9. Aug 18, 2016 #8

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

:smile:

10. Aug 18, 2016 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Really interesting. In the quoted stuff you say to quote, there is other stuff I do not understand looking like part of the word, "plain" is cut, so not clear how works. Then there is later at the end, pound pound downarrow pound pound. I cannot see what that does.
    Maybe a different topic.

11. Aug 18, 2016 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can read about this in the LaTeX Primer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  12. Aug 19, 2016 #11

OCR

Here's a screen grab of what I think symbolipoint is referring to...

Plain text.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  13. Aug 19, 2016 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

To display the plain tag, you cannot just write [plain]foobar[/plain], because the forum interprets that as plain tag (="show foobar without interpreting tags in foobar"). But if you write [pl[plain][/plain]ain], then the forum processes the inner plain tags (they do not have text in it, but that does not matter), symbols before that ("[pl") and after that ("ain]") do not form tags, so they are just displayed as I typed them. Both together appear as "[plain]". Same for the end tag.

See the post from dlgoff about the arrow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted