How do you keep yourself from procrastinating when working on a PC

• Thread starter jamalkoiyess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary: A different computer.In summary, the old school solution is to disconnect from the Internet while working on projects. The other solution is to work on a computer not connected to the Internet but perhaps connected to another computer.
jamalkoiyess
procrastination might be a bad term, but whenever I try to do some computational homework or any kind of productive computer usage, I find myself hours later just browsing some random stuff or binging youtube. It's always tempting especially when working on a browser to just open a tab and explore stuff, to the point that I do it subconsciously.

I found that working strictly out of the browser helps, but any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I put on some music e.g

and focus on the task I need to do. When I'm home, without music I can't focus, as contradictory as that may sound.

Likes jamalkoiyess
Some tips:

1. Start with a small, relevant task... the first problem on an assignment, writing that first paragraph of your paper or lab report, or even the first 100 words. The point is, there's a kind of action potential hump to get over to dive into the work that you have to do. Once you conquer that hump, it's easier to keep going.
  2. Discipline comes with practice. Think about what behaviour you're reinforcing as you work. Each time you balk at your assignment to go surf youtube, you're making it easier to do that next time. Each time you consciously decide that you can put that off until you've completed your goal, you're reinfocing that behaviour.
  3. Set specific, smaller goals for yourself. Say you're working on a senior undergraduate thesis paper that you know is going to take you weeks to write up. Just blindly working on that can feel like an insurmountable task. You can spend hours on it and not feel like you're much closer to the finish line. Instead, break it up. By the end of the night the plan is to get 3 figures completed and inserted into the manuscript, or to complete the citations in the introduction. That way at the end of the night you'll have a sense of accomplishment, even if you only get to 80% of your goal.
  4. Procrastination often behaviour happens when you're tired. I say this a lot when it comes to effective study habits, but make sure that you take good care of yourself. Get adequate sleep. Don't replace sleep with caffeine if you can help it. Make sure you have a well-balanced diet. Get adequate exercise. Socialize. All of this will make it easier to focus when you have to.
  5. Build in down time. It's okay to spend SOME time surfing the internet if that's something you enjoy doing and it's not interfering with any of your long term goals. Allow yourself some study breaks. Some people will even go to the trouble of installing apps that limit their time online.
  6. Change up your game a little. Try to find some friends who can help to keep you on task, and who you enjoy being around when the opportunity to chat comes up.

Likes DennisN, jamalkoiyess, Klystron and 1 other person
There are "no distractions" apps you can install on your system that will both disallow casual browsing as well as silence incoming communications.

Many writers find them very helpful.

Likes DennisN and jamalkoiyess
This often happens with me. I start with an assignment in Python and end up reading a QFT book or an electronics book. The only way to control this is self-discipline.

Last year, I had to work for around six hours every evening after school to complete an assignment of thirty huge java programs. Music kept me alive in those thirty tiring days.

During the final examinations in school, I went into depression when I found that I was not having enough time at the end of the day to study QM. The only way to prevent distractions during the late night study hours was sleeping pills almost every night. Mother was quite right when she echoed @Choppy:
Choppy said:
Don't replace sleep with caffeine if you can help it.

• Informative
Likes jamalkoiyess
nuuskur said:
When I'm home, without music I can't focus,
I know several friends who are also like that. Curiously, it's the opposite for me -- I like total silence.

Likes Stephen Tashi
jamalkoiyess said:
It's always tempting especially when working on a browser to just open a tab and explore stuff, ...
Get a really old, slow tab loading PC. :devil:

• Haha
Likes DennisN, jamalkoiyess, Klystron and 2 others
jamalkoiyess said:
procrastination might be a bad term, but whenever I try to do some computational homework or any kind of productive computer usage, I find myself hours later just browsing some random stuff or binging youtube. It's always tempting especially when working on a browser to just open a tab and explore stuff, to the point that I do it subconsciously.

I found that working strictly out of the browser helps, but any other suggestions?
Old school solution from distractions: disconnect from the Internet while working on projects.

Several ways to do this. Software disconnect your OS then reconnect when you are done.

Perform project work on a computer not connected to Internet but perhaps connected to your 'social' computer; either hardwired directly, through a private router, or wireless but with filters. This allows you to retrieve information, use dictionary, etc. without browsing.

Set timers that isolate your workstation during project work. Related to timers that tell you to get up and stretch after N minutes or that batch email delivery for certain times to avoid distractions.

Likes DennisN, jamalkoiyess and dlgoff
Don't blame your procrastination on computers.:-p

1. How can I stay focused and avoid distractions when working on my computer?

One effective way to stay focused and avoid distractions is to create a dedicated workspace for yourself. This can be a separate room or simply a designated area in your home where you only work on your computer. This will help to mentally prepare you for work and limit potential distractions.

2. Is there a specific time of day that is best for avoiding procrastination while working on a PC?

The best time of day for avoiding procrastination while working on a PC varies for each person. Some people are more productive in the morning, while others may work better in the afternoon or evening. It's important to find the time of day that works best for you and schedule your work accordingly.

3. Are there any helpful tools or apps that can assist with staying on track and avoiding procrastination?

Yes, there are many tools and apps available that can help with staying on track and avoiding procrastination. Some popular options include time management apps, productivity trackers, and website blockers. Experiment with different tools to find the ones that work best for you.

4. How can I motivate myself to start working on my computer when I'm feeling unmotivated?

One way to motivate yourself is to break your work into smaller, manageable tasks. This can make the workload seem less daunting and easier to start. Additionally, setting specific goals and rewarding yourself for completing them can provide motivation and a sense of accomplishment.

5. What are some healthy habits I can develop to avoid procrastination while working on my computer?

Some healthy habits that can help avoid procrastination while working on a computer include setting a schedule and sticking to it, taking regular breaks to avoid burnout, and practicing good time management. It's also important to prioritize tasks and avoid multitasking, as this can often lead to procrastination.