How do you know when a set of observables form a CSCO?

In summary: CSCO).In summary, a CSCO is a set of commuting operators that allows us to fully determine the state of a particle by making a series of observations. This is important for systems with degenerate eigenvalues, where multiple eigenstates correspond to the same eigenvalue. By using a CSCO, we can reduce the degeneracy and accurately determine the state of the particle.
estiface
I understand that the operators have to commute, and therefore that the measurement of one has no bearing on the measurement of the other. I know that H, L^2, and L_z form a CSCO for the H atom. Basically, I conceptually understand CSCO. Often though, in my class, we will be working on a problem, finding eigenvalues, and then my teacher says "therefore these form a CSCO."

How do you know a set is complete? it seems to me that to make claims of completeness one must try to apply every operator you can think of before excluding any from the set...
My problem is recognizing the completeness in the math language. At which point after finding eigenvalues do you see that these form a CSCO? what are the specific mathematical "pictures" that should trigger "oh, these form a CSCO"? if asked "do these form a CSCO?", how do i check that? (other than checking commutation relations.)

basically, i think my question can be summed up in: what is the mathematical language of CSCO's, especially in context of the H atom or harmonic oscillator?

Physics news on Phys.org
estiface said:
I understand that the operators have to commute, and therefore that the measurement of one has no bearing on the measurement of the other. I know that H, L^2, and L_z form a CSCO for the H atom. Basically, I conceptually understand CSCO. Often though, in my class, we will be working on a problem, finding eigenvalues, and then my teacher says "therefore these form a CSCO."

How do you know a set is complete? it seems to me that to make claims of completeness one must try to apply every operator you can think of before excluding any from the set...
My problem is recognizing the completeness in the math language. At which point after finding eigenvalues do you see that these form a CSCO? what are the specific mathematical "pictures" that should trigger "oh, these form a CSCO"? if asked "do these form a CSCO?", how do i check that? (other than checking commutation relations.)

basically, i think my question can be summed up in: what is the mathematical language of CSCO's, especially in context of the H atom or harmonic oscillator?

This concept is introduced to distinguish eigenstates of the same eigenvalue from each other, i.e., degenerate states. For operator A, if it has degenerate eigenvalues, say a, all the eigenvector for 'a' form a subspace of dimension > 1, so it's not possible to say for sure what state the particle was in once you make an observation of value a, all you know is after the first observation, the particle's state is in this subspace. In order to pin down the exact state, we have to make another observation which corresponds to a commuting operator, say B. Since A and B commute, the observation of B doesn't disturb the fact that the particle is in the above subspace, but hopefully the eigenspace for the two eigenvalues <a, b> will have fewer degeneracy, which means after the 2nd observation, we have fewer choice for the state of the particle. This keeps going until the degenerate space has dimension 1, then you have a complete set of observables

Last edited:

1. How do you determine if a set of observables form a CSCO?

A set of observables form a CSCO (Complete Set of Commuting Observables) if they can be simultaneously measured with no uncertainty and their corresponding operators commute with each other.

2. What is the significance of having a CSCO?

Having a CSCO allows for the complete description and measurement of a quantum system. It means that all of the necessary information about the system can be obtained through the measurement of the observables in the set.

3. How many observables are needed to form a CSCO?

The number of observables needed to form a CSCO depends on the dimension of the quantum system. For a system with a finite number of states, the minimum number of observables needed is equal to the dimension of the system.

4. Can a CSCO be formed with non-commuting observables?

No, a CSCO can only be formed with commuting observables. Non-commuting observables cannot be simultaneously measured with no uncertainty and therefore cannot form a complete set.

5. How do you know if two operators commute with each other?

Two operators commute with each other if their commutator is equal to zero. The commutator is found by taking the difference between the operators multiplied in two different orders.