1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum constant of motion in a magnetic field

1. Oct 28, 2017 #1
    Hello, I have a doubt about the Complete Set of commuting observables (CSCO) in the cases when there are a magnetic field ##B## in z.
    The statement is find the constant of motion and CSCO for a particle of mass m and spin 1/2, not necessary a electron or any atomic particle.

I know that the CSCO is ##\{\hat{H}, \hat{L^2},\hat{L_z},\hat{S_z},\hat{S^2}\}## if not active the magnetic field, and them are constants of motion.
    If not consider the coupling ##\hat{L}\hat{S}##, I think that the CSCO do not change, ie, conserve the constants of motion. But if I consider ##L\cdot S##, the new CSCO is ##\{\hat{H}, \hat{L^2},\hat{J_z},\hat{J^2},\hat{S^2}\}## (in absent of field ##B##)

That is true?

(The potential ##V##, is a spherical potential, only depends of ##r## coordinate.)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

This is why we require that the homework template be filled, including the full statement of the problem. Is there a potential or not?

The answer to your question depends on what's included in the Hamiltonian. So, what is ##\hat{H}##?

4. Oct 30, 2017 #3
    Hello, yes I don't put it, this potencial is a spherical step of height ##V_0##.
    Stament
    A particle of mass ##m## and spin 1/2, is subject a potential spherical step of height ##V_0##. If a external magnetic field constant ##B_0## is activated in the direction of ##z##. Find the Hamiltonian and CSCO.

I think that the Hamiltonian is:
    $$
    \hat{H_0}=\left(\frac{\hat{p}_0^2}{2m}+\hat{V_0}\right)+\frac{\hat{L^2}}{2mr}
    $$
    and the Hamiltonian due to external magnetic field ##B=B_0\hat{z}##
    $$
    \hat{H_1}=-\frac{\mu_B}{\hbar}\left(g_l\hat{L}+g_s\hat{S}\right)B_0
    $$
    when ##g_l## and ##g_s## there are de gyromagnetic factor (orbital and spin respectly), and because I don't know wich class of particle is, I don't use the values 1 and 2 for ##g_l## and ##g_s##
    then ##\hat{H}=\hat{H_0}+\hat{H_1}##

I don't include the interaction ##L\cdot S## because it's a particle of mass ##m##, I don't know if the mass generates a magnetic field like the electron. By this I think that the CSCO is the same independient of the external magnetic field, all conmutations remain valid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted