How Do You Measure the Characteristics of a Chemical Reaction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Equilibrium
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Confused
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Equilibrium
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Geetings In relation to chemical kinetics i was confused about how I can determine the characteristics/(explanation?) of a chemical reaction?

for example:
[tex]CaCO_3 + HCl -> CaCl_2 + CO_2 + H_2O?[/tex]

1.)amount of CO_2 heat evolved
2.) change in pH
3.)amount of CO_2 / volume CO_2
4.) Change in concentration of reactants
5.) Change in pressure
6.) change in conductivity

I just don't actually get it...
[tex]Mg + O_2 -> 2MgO[/tex]
so the answer might be
1.) the amount of mass of Mg?
hmmm

What is the common technique in of determining these observations?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Eq, this is a common situation. I'll comment on each
1) I don't understand the question because heat is heat not CO2 heat. You can calculate the heat of a reaction but it is to long to explain here
2) change in pH is pretty easy since if mixed in the correct amount all of the HCl is consumed. If not the calculations get pretty intense and too hard to explain here.
3) this depends on the amounts of each
4) Same as above since you know how much CO2 is given off you could calculate the pressure rise but you need to know more about the size of the vessel.
5) I am sure there is a way to do it but I can't think of it!