How do you prove this Trig identity?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation (tan/(1-cot))+(cot/(1-tan))=1+(sec)(csc). The speaker has tried to simplify the equation but got stuck and asked for help. They received some advice on how to approach the problem and were guided to combine the fractions into one using the difference of cubes formula. The conversation also mentions the need to be careful with signs and the use of identities such as 1 = sin^2(x) + cos^2(x).
physicsdreams

Homework Statement

(tan/(1-cot))+(cot/(1-tan))=1+(sec)(csc)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem showed up in my class as a warm-up, and when my teacher tried to solve it for us he got stuck. I've asked a few classmates in higher level math, and they all seem to get stuck.

I myself have tried to prove the identity. I managed to simplify the right side down to (tan*cot)+(tan*cot)/(sin*cos) but I get stuck after this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem was fun to solve! :)

In my opinion, there are a couple of ways to tackle these equations:

Start with the more complicated side, reduce EVERYTHING to sines and cosines, combine into one fraction, and simplify.
Remember that [itex]1 = sin^2(x) + cos^2(x)[/itex] and a few other identities (half angle formulas, etc), some problems involve clever use of these.
Remember to always start with one side and show it is equal to the other side, never start with both sides equal to each other.

So, for this problem, I would recommend starting with the left side and converting everything to sines and cosines (it gets messy!). Eventually you will see a difference of cubes in the numerator, that is when you know you are on the right track!

A good way to start with this type of identity is to write everything using just sin and cos.

tan/(1-cot)
= (sin/cos) / (1 - cos/sin)
= (sin/cos) / ((sin - cos) / sin)
= sin2 / (cos(sin - cos))

Do the same sort of thing for the other term on the left hand side, and also for the right hand side.

It's been a few days since first seeing this problem.

I asked another math teacher, and he literally spent an entire class trying to solve it. My teacher has asked other teachers, and they haven't figured it out yet.

I've worked the left side down to:
((sin^2)/((cos)(sin-cos)))+((cos^2)/((sin)(cos-sin)),
but I don't know what to do from here. I'm not sure how to simplify the denominators properly.

Thanks

physicsdreams said:
It's been a few days since first seeing this problem.

I asked another math teacher, and he literally spent an entire class trying to solve it. My teacher has asked other teachers, and they haven't figured it out yet.

I've worked the left side down to:
((sin^2)/((cos)(sin-cos)))+((cos^2)/((sin)(cos-sin)),
but I don't know what to do from here. I'm not sure how to simplify the denominators properly.

Thanks

Good start! That's exactly where you want to be! Now your next step is to combine the fraction into one! This is where it starts to get tricky, and once your combine your fraction you may not see it at first. Notice my hint in my previous post: you will have a difference of cubes in the numerator. You need to eventually factor that. Notice that in one denominator you have [itex]cos(x)[sin(x) - cos(x)][/itex] and the other you have [itex]sin(x)[cos(x) - sin(x)][/itex]. What would the common denominator be in order that you can combine the two fractions into one? Be careful about your signs! :)

Edit: I'm putting this fraction here so it's easier to visualize than reading it as one line of text. Here is what you have so far:

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{sin^2(x)}{cos(x)[sin(x) - cos(x)]} + \frac{cos^2(x)}{sin(x)[cos(x) - sin(x)]}[/itex]

Last edited:
I get

((sin^3(cos-sin)+cos^3(sin-cos))/((sin)((cos-sin)(cos)(sin-cos))

but somehow this doesn't seem right.
How do I get a difference of squares?

What you did certainly wasn't wrong, but there's a more compact way of writing it. Try starting here:

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{sin^2(x)}{cos(x)[sin(x) - cos(x)]} + \frac{cos^2(x)}{sin(x)[cos(x) - sin(x)]} = \frac{sin^2(x)}{cos(x)[sin(x) - cos(x)]} - \frac{cos^2(x)}{sin(x)[sin(x) - cos(x)]}[/itex]

Do you see how the minus sign got there? Can you combine them into one fraction now?

somewhere along the way you will need the ( A - B)^3 formula.

1. How do I know which trig identities to use?

The best way to approach proving a trig identity is to have a solid understanding of the basic trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities and the sum and difference identities. These are the building blocks that can be used to manipulate and simplify more complex trigonometric expressions. It is also important to carefully analyze the given expression and identify any patterns or relationships that may be helpful in determining which identities to use.

2. What steps should I follow when proving a trig identity?

The general steps for proving a trig identity are as follows:

• Simplify both sides of the equation using basic trig identities.
  • Manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic properties and trigonometric identities, while keeping the other side unchanged.
  • Continue manipulating and simplifying until both sides are equal.
  • State that the identity is proven, and provide any additional justifications or explanations if necessary.

3. How do I handle trigonometric functions with different arguments?

When dealing with trigonometric functions with different arguments, it is important to use the sum and difference identities to rewrite the expression in terms of the same argument. For example, if one side of the equation contains sin(3x) and the other side contains sin(x), we can use the identity sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b) to rewrite sin(3x) as sin(2x+x). This allows us to simplify the expression further using other identities.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should prove a trig identity?

No, there is no specific order in which you must prove a trig identity. However, it is generally helpful to start with the more complex or longer side of the equation and simplify it using basic identities and algebraic properties. This can make the process more organized and easier to follow.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on proving a trig identity?

If you are having trouble proving a trig identity, try stepping back and reviewing the basic trig identities and their properties. It may also be helpful to try approaching the problem from a different angle or using a different identity. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can provide valuable insight and guidance. Remember to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective if needed.