1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unsure if this is a trig identity or calculus

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    $$sinx - cosx = 1/3$$
    solve for $$sin(2x)$$
    2. Relevant equations
    $$sin^2x + cos^2x = 1$$
    $$sin2x = 2cosxsinx$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think you can square both sides and get:
    $$sin^2x - cos^2x = 1/9$$
    But how can I use this information to solve for sin2x? Is there a relation/identity between sin2x and sin^2x?

But I am unsure of what to do proceeding this point, is there any calculus needed here? It's in my Calculus review problems so I am confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How did you get this? I hope you didn't do just this: ##(sin(x))^2 - (cos(x))^2 = (1/3)^2##. If so, that's not at all valid.

In general ##(a + b)^2 \neq a^2 + b^2##.

4. Oct 30, 2016 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hint: ##(a+b)^2 \ne a^2 + b^2##.

5. Oct 31, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is utterly wrong ! How do you square the difference of two terms? What is (a-b)(a-b)?????

6. Nov 1, 2016 #5
    Sigh it's just annoying having to deal with something i did several years ago in a calculus course. I guess I should've remembered the basic factoring property.

Anyway, $$sin^2x + cos^2x - 2sinxcosx = 1/9$$
    and I think $$sin^2x + cos^2x = 1$$ so I believe it'll end up being after simplification
    $$1-sin2x = 1/9$$
    and the answer I got is $$8/9$$. The answer is unfortunately not given for this question.

7. Nov 1, 2016 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Well, you can take solace in the fact that you got the right answer. I've attached a plot of ##y=\sin x - \cos x##, ##y=1/3##, ##y=\sin 2x##, and ##y=8/9.## You can see whenever ##\sin x - \cos x## intersects the line ##y=1/3##, the graph of ##y=\sin 2x## intersects the line ##y=8/9##.

Attached Files:

8. Nov 2, 2016 #7
    Just out of curiosity is trig identities something I should feel comfortable with? As far as math courses that I'm taking in my programs i believe I take up to calc3, linear algebra and discrete math

9. Nov 2, 2016 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Absolutely. And not just "comfortable with." You should have some of them memorized, including the so-called Pythagorean identities (sinx(x) + cos2(x) = 1, and the other two involving tan(x), sec(x) and cot(x), csc(x)), the sum identities, the double angle identities, and possibly the half-angle identities.
    The trig identities won't be used much in discrete math, but they are used to some extent in linear algebra and quite a lot in calculus.

Also, the mistake you made in the first post is less about trig, and more about basic algebra properties: when you apply some operation to one side of an equation, you have to apply the same operation to the other side. In this case, squaring one side of an equation is not the same as squaring the individual terms. What you did seems to be a misapplication of the distributive law,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted