How Do You Solve for 'a' in the Equation s = v0t + .5at^2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BuhRock
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Specific Variable
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
BuhRock
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
1. s = v0t + .5at^2 , solve for a



2. I don't know any



3. I don't know where to begin. I was thinking that you divide .5 from a to make it s/.5 = v0(t) + at^2.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look how "a" is used:

s = v0t + .5at^2 , solve for a.

See where it is. What is the first thing done to a? What is the next thing done to a? What else has been done to "a"? Take in reverse order, and undo each of those steps.

Initially, a is just a. See that the first thing done was (0.5t^2) factor was applied to a. What was done next? Anything else? Just reverse the whole process, and do this to BOTH sides of the equation.
 
BuhRock said:
1. s = v0t + .5at^2 , solve for a



2. I don't know any



3. I don't know where to begin. I was thinking that you divide .5 from a to make it s/.5 = v0(t) + at^2.
You divided the left side by .5, but you only divided one term on the right by .5. With operations like division and multiplication, you have to apply them to both sides, not just a single term on one side.