How Do You Solve the Inequality \(\frac{1}{2^x} > \frac{1}{x^2}\)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
zeion
Messages
455
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Use your knowledge of exponents to solve

[tex]\frac{1}{2^x} > \frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]x^2 > 2^x[/tex]

Then I am stuck.

I know they intersect at x = 2.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find out when the equality holds. Let's say they hold at a and b. This will give you regions [tex]]-\infty,a[, ]a,b[, ]b,+\infty[[/tex]. From any region, pick a point and check if the inequality is satisfied at that point. If so, then that region is part of the solution.
 
micromass said:
Try to find out when the equality holds. Let's say they hold at a and b. This will give you regions [tex]]-\infty,a[, ]a,b[, ]b,+\infty[[/tex]. From any region, pick a point and check if the inequality is satisfied at that point. If so, then that region is part of the solution.

Thing is I don't know how to find what a and b are. (Except for 2)
 
Well, yeah, I don't think you can explicitly find the value of a and b (except for 2). But you know from the graph that such an a and b exist and where they lie.
 
zeion said:

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]x^2 > 2^x[/tex]

Then I am stuck.

I know they intersect at x = 2.

They intersect at x=2 because [itex]2^2 = 2^2[/tex]<br /> <br /> What about x=4?<br /> Does [itex]4^2 = 2^4[/tex] ?[/itex][/itex]
 
You approximate. And if you're in a higher college math class, you find it in terms of the Lambert W function. Either way, you can't express the root of x2=2x, x<0 explicitly in terms of elementary functions.