How do you solve this equation (involving exponentials)?

• Thread starter xllx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation 0 = x(e^-x) and its solution. It is determined that either x = 0 or e^-x = 0. The original equation is y = (x^2)(e^-x) and it is differentiated to find the turning points. The final solution is x = 2 or 0.
xllx

Homework Statement

0=x(e^-x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well as x is a multiple that leaves:
0=e^-x
so does x=0?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If a*b = 0 then a = 0 or b = 0.
For your equation, either x = 0 or e-x = 0.
Clearly, x = 0 is a solution of your equation. Are there any values of x for which e-x = 0?

Mark44 said:
Are there any values of x for which e-x = 0?

Well wouldn't x be infinity in that case?
But this question is referring to co-ordinates of a turning point so surely a turning point can't be infinity?

The original equation was y=(x^2)(e^-x)
Which I differentiated into:
dy/dx=x^2(-e^-x)+(e^-x)2x
Which I factorised into:
dy/dx=x(e^-x)[-x+2]

And as dy/dx=0 for turning points then:
0=x(e^-x)[-x+2]
So x=2 and 0=x(e^-x)

Is this all right?

Thankyou so much.

Is it zero?

Thankyou!

1. How do I simplify an exponential equation?

To simplify an exponential equation, you can use the properties of exponents such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. These rules allow you to manipulate the terms in the equation and combine like terms to simplify the expression. You can also use logarithms to solve for the variable.

2. What is the difference between a base and an exponent?

The base in an exponential equation is the number being raised to a power, while the exponent is the number that indicates how many times the base is being multiplied by itself. For example, in the equation 23, 2 is the base and 3 is the exponent.

3. How do I solve an exponential equation with different bases?

If the bases in an exponential equation are different, you can use the properties of logarithms to solve for the variable. You can either use the change of base formula or use the fact that logarithms are the inverse of exponentials to rewrite the equation in a form where the bases are the same.

4. Can I solve an exponential equation without using logarithms?

Yes, you can also use algebraic techniques such as factoring, completing the square, or the quadratic formula to solve exponential equations. However, logarithms are often the most efficient and straightforward method for solving exponential equations.

5. How do I check my answer to an exponential equation?

To check your answer to an exponential equation, you can plug in the value of the variable you solved for into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator to evaluate both sides of the equation and see if they are equal. Alternatively, you can graph the equation and the solution to see if they intersect at the correct point.