1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it Possible to solve Exponential Equations like these?

1. Apr 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I have come across this equation in modelling exponential growth and decay. I am wondering if it is possible to solve it algebraically or not?

2. Relevant equations
    8000-1.2031 * e^ (0.763x)=(0.5992×e^0.7895x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Brought all e^(ax) values to one side, however beyond that step I am really not sure of where to go, have looked at the problem for several hours without any results, any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, there is no algebraic method to solve such equations since they are transcendental rather than algebraic by nature.

Only a numerical or graphical solution can be obtained. Iteration using different trial values of x is probably the quickest way to find a solution here.

4. Apr 16, 2016 #3
    Hi SteamKing, thankyou for your answer, I have learnt something from that.

5. Apr 16, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In this particular equation, you can easily see that the second exponential expression is likely to be about half the first, so x must be about 10.
    You could then rewrite the .7895x as .763x+.0265x, or approximately .763x+0.265. That should get you to a reasonably accurate answer. You could redo that with the more accurate x value as a check.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted