How do you take the derivative of -(t + 1)sin(\frac{t^2}{2})?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter firefly_1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivatives
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
firefly_1
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Refresher on Derivatives

I feel rather dumb asking this but I could use a quick refresher on some parts of derivatives since for the past months I have been solely working on integrals and known cross sections so suddenly switching back has left my brain reeling.

The main question I need explained is how do you take a derivative of [tex]-(t + 1)sin(\frac{t^2}{2})[/tex]

I remember a trick my AP teacher told me of 1D2 + 2D1 meaning take the first part muliplied by the derivative of the second plus the second multiplied by the derivative of the first. The problem is, I don't remember how to take the derivatve of (t^2)/2
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Power rule. (t^n)'=nt^(n-1). Remember that constants slide out as well.
 
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left[-(t + 1)sin(\frac{t^2}{2})\right][/tex]

[tex]= -\left[(t+1)\frac{d}{dt}\left(\sin \frac{t^2}{2}\right) + \left(\sin \frac{t^2}{2}\right)\frac{d}{dt}(t+1)\right][/tex]

[tex]= -\left[(t+1)\cos \left(\frac{t^2}{2}\right)\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{t^2}{2}\right) + \sin \frac{t^2}{2}\right][/tex]

[tex]= -\left[(t+1)\cos \left(\frac{t^2}{2}\right)\cdot t + \sin \frac{t^2}{2}\right][/tex]
 
Last edited: