How do you theoretical physicists stay motivated?

In summary, the conversation discusses how theoretical physicists often struggle with staying motivated due to the abstract nature of their work and the mundane tasks involved in their job. Coping mechanisms include listening to music, playing video games, enjoying a cup of coffee, and remembering the bigger picture of their research. Some also find it helpful to take breaks and engage in physical activity or have discussions with others to gain a fresh perspective. Overall, it is important to take a step back and adjust one's perspective in order to maintain motivation in the field of physics.
camel_jockey
Many of the most fundamental physics problems that theoretical physicists work with are really cool, but they are so abstract that sometimes it just feels that you are sitting with huge tomes/books and looking at details.

How do you stay motivated? How do you bring back the taste for maths and physics?

I try listening to mysterious music such as Shpongle, or playing sci-fi oriented computer games :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I usually don't have to get motivated to work on the physics research (calculations, research code development, modeling) but the other parts of my job (writing papers, reports, administrative stuff) can really drag me down.

I have two coping mechanisms:
  1. Sit back and enjoy a cup of coffee. This let's me relax and just think for a bit and helps to get me through the late afternoon quiet that creeps around here which makes me want to sleep.
  2. Remember the big picture. I get to work on some really cool projects and they can have profound implications on major space missions. The coolness factor definitely gets lost in the day-to-day grind that can be my job. When I sit back and look at what I get to work on, all interesting results, the implications, the extremely talented people I get to work with- I remember how I fit into the big picture and I can't help but think of how lucky I am. This makes doing the things I like least about my job seem very much worth it.

In the end, it is all about taking a breath and being able to adjust my perspective.

Likes ComplexVar89
Imagine being out of work?

Katastrofa said:
Imagine being out of work?

This used to work for me. Nowadays it simply doesn't do the trick. :(

I sometimes find that the most "boring" parts of my job are the ones that are most relaxing. I'm trying to figure how this #$@$@# paper derived this @#$@#$ formula, and so I work through everything step by step. I get the wrong answer. I do it again. Get the wrong answer. Repeat for a few hours or days, and then I get somewhere. This sort of thing is quite relaxing because it often turns out that there is total chaos around me, and by staring at the problem, I can blot out the chaos.

I am used to the same coping mechanisms of Norman.

Ll.

Play games like Halo and remember that physicists probably discovered the slip-space jump and effective materials to build those huge mile-long magnetic accelerator cannons and those gigantor ships. Also the armored body-suit of the Spartans is pretty awesome (they can jump 10 feet and run 55 mph!).

I mean come on. Physics is the foundation that all of engineering and technology develops. Isn't that awesome enough?

I'm still just a student but I get the same way studying, sometimes I just wonder why I am doing this. Kind of like camel jockey, I love listening to weird or intense music. Metal or psy-trance is good. I do some of my best math when I have Infected Mushroom blasting. It just keeps me awake and driven.

Other than that I go for a lot of walks and talks. I guess I am what they call "kinetic thinkers". Every 10 or 15 minutes I need to get up and jump around, pace in circles, mumble to myself. Sometimes it even gets to the point where I am running back and forth across the room.

Other times I go for a long walk and discuss with a friend either what I am working on, or something completely different. I find thinking about completely different things gives me a fresh perspective and I see the world as new and fascinating again.

1. How do you stay motivated to tackle such complex and abstract concepts in theoretical physics?

As a theoretical physicist, we are motivated by our curiosity and passion for understanding the fundamental laws and workings of the universe. We are driven by the potential to make groundbreaking discoveries and contribute to the advancement of human knowledge.

2. Does working on theories and equations all day ever become monotonous or boring?

While the work of a theoretical physicist can be mentally challenging and requires a lot of focus and concentration, we are constantly exploring new ideas and theories, making the work exciting and stimulating. Additionally, collaborating with other scientists and discussing ideas helps keep the work fresh and engaging.

3. What do you do when you hit a roadblock or face a problem that seems unsolvable?

In theoretical physics, we often encounter difficult problems that may seem impossible to solve at first. However, we are trained to approach problems from different perspectives and think creatively. We also seek help from colleagues and utilize mathematical and computational tools to aid in problem-solving.

4. How do you maintain your motivation during long research projects that may take years to complete?

Research in theoretical physics can be a long and arduous process, but we are driven by our passion for the subject and the potential for groundbreaking discoveries. We also set small achievable goals along the way and celebrate each milestone, which helps keep us motivated and focused.

5. Is there a particular source of inspiration or motivation for theoretical physicists?

Each theoretical physicist may have their own unique source of inspiration and motivation. Some may find inspiration in nature and the mysteries of the universe, while others may be motivated by the desire to solve complex problems and contribute to the advancement of science. Ultimately, our passion for the subject and the potential for discovery is what keeps us motivated.