How do you visualise your future self?

• Thread starter Docscientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future Self
In summary: I think that would be a stretch. And as for the quote itself, I believe it means that our thoughts shape our actions, which in turn shape our character and ultimately our destiny. In summary, the conversation discusses the quote "what you think you become" by Buddha and how it relates to shaping our future selves through our thoughts and actions. It also touches on the idea of self-image and the concept of reincarnation. The authenticity of the quote is debated, but it still holds a powerful message about the power of our thoughts.
Docscientist
I read this somewhere "what you think you become" said by Buddha.
I'm convinced that how you visualise yourself to be is how you really are.That must apply to your future self too.
I'd be glad to see your worthy answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Docscientist said:
I'm convinced that how you visualise yourself to be is how you really are.That must apply to your future self too.

I can see myself as an engineering professor, author of different books and having a busy but happy life.

Likes gracy
Docscientist said:
:biggrin:

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be.
The future's not ours to see.
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be.

Likes wolram, Sophia and gracy
star-trek-q-fan-collective-20060707054444695-000.jpg

Likes rootone and ProfuselyQuarky
images.jpg

Docscientist said:
Scientist ?
Engineer..in some big, cool control room.

I see myself dead, in about 700 years (at least).

Docscientist said:

BBC series "7-up" follows several British children for decades exploring that question . You might enjoy it...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...901/From-Seven-to-56-Up-the-story-so-far.html
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/what-56-up-reveals

Maxwell Maltz's "Psycho-Cybernetics" was an early self-help book about "self image psychology" .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho-Cybernetics

old jim

But to answer your question,

as a kid i loved the Walt Disney comic book characters of "Duckburg"

especially the inventor Gyro Gearloose who lived in Grandma Duck's barn
for his persona was just like my real life Great Grandfather, a clever blacksmith with a workshop full of contraptions he'd built
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_Gearloose

250?cb=20090406011424.jpg

I too have a barn full of interesting projects and "junk".

old jim

Likes Sophia and cnh1995
Docscientist said:

Like most popular Buddha quotes, it's completely fake. He never said this, and according to my knowledge of Buddhism, you would have disagreed with it. http://fakebuddhaquotes.com/what-you-think-you-become/

In the future 'me' as sentient being will no longer exist,
some of the material which constituted 'me' will probably become part of other living organisms though.
In the extreme distant future the stuff that is now 'me' seems likely to become an indistinct contribution to a sea of low level radiation.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
micromass said:
Like most popular Buddha quotes, it's completely fake. He never said this, and according to my knowledge of Buddhism, you would have disagreed with it. http://fakebuddhaquotes.com/what-you-think-you-become/
Some say it's true while others say it's fake.
So we clearly do not know whether it is true or fake.
If that's the case,let us trust the quote unmindful of who said it.If you don't believe in the quote,don't answer.But it's a good way of saying that your thoughts are the seeds that grow into actions which finally makes you who you become.

So we clearly do not know whether it is true or fake[/QUOTE]
I think that finding out the difference is the whole point of science.

Pretty doctor!
I achieved fraction of this dream at the time of birth by the grace of god. (He made me pretty) now the rest is my job!
ladydoctor1.jpg

rootone said:
So we clearly do not know whether it is true or fake
I think that finding out the difference is the whole point of science.[/QUOTE]
But use science to determine the author of a quote?

What is the importance of visualizing my future self?

Visualizing your future self is important because it allows you to have a clear and specific goal to work towards. It can also help you stay motivated and focused on your long-term aspirations.

How do I start visualizing my future self?

The first step is to think about what you want to achieve in the future. Then, create a mental image of yourself as if you have already achieved those goals. You can also write down your goals and create a vision board to help with visualization.

Can visualizing my future self really help me achieve my goals?

Yes, visualizing your future self can be a powerful tool in achieving your goals. It allows you to have a clear direction and can help you make decisions that align with your long-term aspirations.

Do I have to be specific when visualizing my future self?

Yes, the more specific you are when visualizing your future self, the more effective it can be. Instead of just thinking about general goals, try to imagine specific details such as your appearance, actions, and surroundings.

How often should I visualize my future self?

It is recommended to visualize your future self on a regular basis, ideally daily. This will help keep your goals and aspirations at the forefront of your mind and can also help with motivation and decision making.