How to self study Physics and Mathematics

In summary,I have heard detailed description of what to do when you study physics, but I don't know how to learn Physics in the first place. This post tries to counter that.Here's How to Teach Yourself Physics and Math [Futurism]How To Self-Learn Physics: The Ultimate GuideHow to Learn Physics and Mathematics [posted on this forum 2008]I would welcome answers to this too.
Slimy0233
TL;DR Summary: I have heard detailed description of what to do when you study physics, but I don't know how to learn Physics in the first place, so this post tries to counter that.

Here's How to Teach Yourself Physics and Math [Futurism]
How To Self-Learn Physics: The Ultimate Guide

How to Learn Physics and Mathematics [posted on this forum 2008]
I would welcome answers to this too.

I have looked through these links, although these links are really good and I would suggest everyone having similar questions to go through them, but, I have a different problem.

I have some amount of resources at my disposal, I have textbooks and notes and what to read is not a problem for me.
How to read Physics and Mathematics is a bigger problem for me.

I usually try a policy of "NO PAGE LEFT BEHIND" if I am studying a topic which is necessary for the study of another topic. Because if I lack the necessary understanding, I will have to go behind and do everything again. Although this might sound good, this takes time. Again, not a major problem, but somewhat of a bummer.

Now, what is a MAJOR problem is the fact that when I encounter a doubt or a problem I don't understand, I can't move forward. I really need that doubt to be solved and to know where I went wrong in the problem I was battling. This wastes a lot of time as I am self learning and I just can't ask someone the doubts I have. I can ask it here and I grateful for the helpful people here, but obviously, that takes time and rightfully so. So what do you guys do when you encounter a problem, do you just put that on review and move forward to the next topic and maybe post about it in here, or do you keep staring at the book hard enough to make the book consider filing a harassment case :').

Another problem would be, you just don't understand the wording they have used and being confused, you can't move forward. This is somewhat frustrating. What do you guys do in this case. I feel like referring multiple books would be very helpful, but I am not near a library and can't do that. I have one textbook for topic and not all of them are beginner friendly.

Do you use Physics simulations to understand a topic better? Any links to such simulations would be greatly appreciated. PhET seems to have some really good simulations, but there aren't enough of them. I have seen programs and simulations on individual websites of professors. But I am yet to see a repository which lists them orderly.

Apart from this, I would really appreciate if you were to detail your major problems and how you overcame them. I am sure there is some overlap and I am sure we can learn something from each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes DeBangis21, topsquark, Slimy0233 and 1 other person
Slimy0233 said:
I have some amount of resources at my disposal, I have textbooks and notes and what to read is not a problem for me.
How to read Physics and Mathematics is a bigger problem for me.
You do not say what you are reading. That can make a big difference. Using a standard text like Haliday and Resnick, Fundamentals of Physics can make it easier to get help with specific questions.
Slimy0233 said:
Now, what is a MAJOR problem is the fact that when I encounter a doubt or a problem I don't understand, I can't move forward. I really need that doubt to be solved and to know where I went wrong in the problem I was battling.
There is no single answer to this problem. Some things have a simple answer, others can only be answered in a very advanced way, and some things are just how nature works with no known reason that it does not work another way.
Slimy0233 said:
This wastes a lot of time as I am self learning and I just can't ask someone the doubts I have. I can ask it here and I grateful for the helpful people here, but obviously, that takes time and rightfully so.
Yes, a real understanding of physics is a life-long effort. (Maybe a genius knows everything immediately, but they are different from the rest of us.)
You may just have to keep asking specific questions, here and elsewhere.
Slimy0233 said:
Do you use Physics simulations to understand a topic better? Any links to such simulations would be greatly appreciated. PhET seems to have some really good simulations, but there aren't enough of them. I have seen programs and simulations on individual websites of professors. But I am yet to see a repository which lists them orderly.
I have no experience with the simulations that you are talking about. For me, I think that understanding the fundamental principles is not really helped by simulations, but simulations do help to understand the consequences of those principles in complicated situations.
Slimy0233 said:
Apart from this, I would really appreciate if you were to detail your major problems and how you overcame them. I am sure there is some overlap and I am sure we can learn something from each other.
Speaking personally, even though I have a Ph.D. in pure mathematics, I do not have the background (or energy) to understand the specific advanced math that some physics subjects require for a deep understanding.

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21 and topsquark
thank you! @berkeman & @fresh_42

I entered the wrong keyboards in search, so that link from @berkeman helped especially.

As for the interviews, I shall view them soon!

Likes berkeman
FactChecker said:
You do not say what you are reading. That can make a big difference. Using a standard text like Haliday and Resnick, Fundamentals of Physics can make it easier to get help with specific questions.
I am using texts which are considered standard

I am using Mathematical Methods by Mary L Boas for Mathematical foundation. I really regret not buying Webber tho. I am currently reading Vector Analysis Chapter in Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths and An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkov
FactChecker said:
There is no single answer to this problem. Some things have a simple answer, others can only be answered in a very advanced way, and some things are just how nature works with no known reason that it does not work another way.

I am sorry, I really wanted an answer to that. I feel like pondering on a question too much eventually leads to waste of time. Maybe stare at it for 20 mins and then switch to the next problem/topic, you might understand it later. What would you think about what I said? How did you deal with such issues?

FactChecker said:
(Maybe a genius knows everything immediately, but they are different from the rest of us.)
Amen

Slimy0233 said:

I am using Mathematical Methods by Mary L Boas for Mathematical foundation. I really regret not buying Webber tho. I am currently reading Vector Analysis Chapter in Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths and An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkov
Now I am confused. Are you reading physics texts or math texts? Are you talking about introductory physics or more advanced? I also think that you should put some information in your profile to indicate your background in these subjects.
As it is, I am too confused to contribute anything worthwhile.

Likes Slimy0233 and topsquark
FactChecker said:
Now I am confused. Are you reading physics texts or math texts? Are you talking about introductory physics or more advanced? I also think that you should put some information in your profile to indicate your background in these subjects.
As it is, I am too confused to contribute anything worthwhile.
I am sorry, I am talking about introductory physics but I realize how vital a role mathematics plays. I have some background in Physics, I did study Physics in high school and University, although I don't count my university education as real education because the Indian university I studied in had such low standards that even though I got good marks, I don't know what the hell they taught me (literally the worst years of my life, I feel like they are lost years). But as of now I am trying to get into masters in India and I am making sure that I don't get a shitty university. Which is why I am studying for the entrance exam for Masters for top Indian universities. I have 8 months left and I have all of those 8 months as I sitting at my home. I am sure you can add something which can benefit me. What strategy should I pursue as of now? I know for a fact that I can't delve deep into most of the stuff I am studying, but I want to at least have enough knowledge to know that I deserve a good university. Meanwhile, I might just make a post out of this as I am confused about this. What should be my strategy?

edit: I posted a new post explaining everything. Please go through it if you can
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...onths-for-a-university-entrance-exam.1053068/

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
Now I am confused. Are you reading physics texts or math texts? Are you talking about introductory physics or more advanced?
Always checking facts, eh? :wink:

berkeman said:
Always checking facts, eh? :wink:
Ha! That ID embarrasses me. I hurriedly used "FactChecker" as an ID when I joined without realizing how permanent it would be. I had used it earlier on an actual fact verification website. I learned a lesson about being more careful when selecting an ID.

• Haha
Likes Slimy0233 and berkeman
Slimy0233 said:

I am using Mathematical Methods by Mary L Boas for Mathematical foundation. I really regret not buying Webber tho. I am currently reading Vector Analysis Chapter in Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths and An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and KolenkovI am sorry, I really wanted an answer to that. I feel like pondering on a question too much eventually leads to waste of time. Maybe stare at it for 20 mins and then switch to the next problem/topic, you might understand it later. What would you think about what I said? How did you deal with such issues?Amen
I'd suggest doing your best effort and then letting it go for a while. It will remain in the back of your mind. Pushing harder , beyond some point, will not help. Like someone said, it's more of an issue of intuition of feeling what's necessary for you to do, than hard-and-fast instructions.

• Care
Likes Slimy0233

1. How do I start self-studying Physics and Mathematics?

The first step to self-studying Physics and Mathematics is to have a clear understanding of the topics you want to cover. Make a list of the concepts you want to learn and create a study plan that includes a schedule for studying each topic. It is also important to have the necessary textbooks, study materials, and resources before starting.

2. What resources should I use for self-studying Physics and Mathematics?

There are many resources available for self-studying Physics and Mathematics, such as textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and study guides. It is important to choose resources that are reputable and align with your learning style. You can also seek help from online forums and study groups to clarify any doubts and discuss difficult concepts.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-studying Physics and Mathematics?

Staying motivated while self-studying can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to keep yourself on track. Set achievable goals for each study session and reward yourself when you reach them. Take breaks when needed and find a study environment that is conducive to learning. It can also be helpful to have a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable.

4. How can I effectively manage my time while self-studying Physics and Mathematics?

Time management is crucial when self-studying Physics and Mathematics. It is important to create a schedule and stick to it, allocating enough time for each topic. Prioritize your study sessions and focus on the most challenging concepts first. Avoid multitasking and eliminate any distractions during your study time.

5. How can I test my understanding of the concepts while self-studying Physics and Mathematics?

Testing your understanding of the concepts is essential to ensure that you are making progress in your self-study journey. You can create your own practice problems or use resources such as past exams and quizzes. It is also beneficial to explain the concepts to someone else or teach them to a study partner to solidify your understanding.