How does a gravitational field induce EM in Kaluza-Klein theory?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
lightfire
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I know this is technically not orthodox GR, but it is closely related. I was reading about Kaluza-Klein theory, but I don't completely understand it. Under what circumstances would could a gravitational field induce an electromagnetic field under this theory. Also, how is the Ricci tensor different?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lightfire said:
Under what circumstances would could a gravitational field induce an electromagnetic field under this theory.

Under the circumstance that the universe has five dimensions, not four, and the fifth dimension is curled up into a tiny circle at each point of what we call four-dimensional spacetime. Then the Einstein Field Equation for "gravity" in five dimensions can be split up into two pieces: one is the Einstein Field Equation for gravity in four dimensions; the other turns out to be Maxwell's Equations for electromagnetism in four dimensions.