Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Christoffel connection in Kaluza Klein Theory

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1
    Now I'm just start to study the Kaluza-Klein theory from http://arxiv.org/abs/grqc/9805018.
    I try to calculate the Einstein Field equations in 5 dimensional vacuum space-time.

we start with 5D metric tensor,

[tex]
    \hat{g}_{AB}=\begin{pmatrix}
    g_{\alpha}_{\beta}+k^{2}\phi^{2}A_{\alpha}A_{\beta} & k\phi^{2}A_{\alpha}\\
    k\phi^{2}A_{\beta}&\phi^{2}
    \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where A,B indices run from 0,1,2,3,4 and [tex]\alpha,\beta[/tex] run from 0,1,2,3

Next, I have to calculate Christoffel connection from:
    [tex]\displaystyle \hat{\Gamma}^{A}_{BC}=\frac{1}{2}\hat{g}^{AD}(\partial_{B}{\hat{g}_{CD}}+\partial_{C}{\hat{g}_{BD}}-\partial_{D}{\hat{g}_{BC}})[/tex]

Kaluza propose the extra condition called "cylindrical condition" that says all derivative involve with the fifth coordinate must vanish. so we can conclude that
    [tex]
    \partial_4{\hat{g}_{AB}}= \partial_4{\hat{\Gamma}^{A}_{BC}}=0
    [/tex]
    then all the connection would be
    [tex]
    \displaystyle\hat{\Gamma}^{4}_{44},\hat{\Gamma}^{4}_{4\alpha},\hat{\Gamma}^{\alpha}_{44},\hat{\Gamma}^{\alpha}_{4\beta},\hat{\Gamma}^{4}_{\alpha\beta},\hat{\Gamma}^{\alpha}_{\beta\gamma}
    [/tex]

Here's is my questions, I confuse about the calculation of the last two connection [tex]\hat{\Gamma}^{4}_{\alpha\beta},\hat{\Gamma}^{\alpha}_{\beta\gamma}[/tex]
    for an example:
    [tex]
    \displaystyle \hat{\Gamma}^{\sigma}_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{1}{2}\hat{g}^{\sigma D}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta D}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha D}}-\partial_{D}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\beta}})
    [/tex]

I'm confused about index sum "D". Can I just replace index D with 4 dimensional (Greek)index or I have to sum it to 4D index plus the fifth-D ones.
    [tex]
    \displaystyle \hat{\Gamma}^{\sigma}_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{1}{2}\hat{g}^{\sigma D}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta D}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha D}}-\partial_{D}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\beta}})=\frac{1}{2}[\hat{g}^{\sigma \lambda}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta \lambda}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\lambda}}-\partial_{\lambda}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\beta}})+\hat{g}^{\sigma 4}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta 4}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha 4}})
    [/tex]
    or just
    [tex]\displaystyle \hat{\Gamma}^{\sigma}_{\alpha\beta}=\frac{1}{2}\hat{g}^{\sigma\lambda}(\partial_{\alpha}{\hat{g}_{\beta \lambda}}+\partial_{\beta}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\lambda}}-\partial_{\lambda}{\hat{g}_{\alpha\beta}})[/tex]

which one is correct?
    otherwise you may be just told me a book or paper that the explicit form of all possible connections in Kaluza-Klein theory were expressed. I would be appreciate.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

If the EM field is going to act on a charged test body, then there must be some Christoffel symbols involving the 5th dimension. So I'd guess your first conjecture is right.

Have a look at this paper. It has a bit on the kinematics of K-K theory ( but that is not it's main interest ).

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook