How Does a Hydro-Pneumatic Shock Absorber Respond to Impact in Thermodynamics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
DarkBlitz
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A buffer at the end of a rail track consists of a hydro-pneumatic shock absorber. The gas chamber of the absorber has an cylindrical geometry consisting of a length of 800mm and 0.5 m diameter and a pressure of 5 bar. Calculate the final pressure and stroke if a 2 tonne train hits the buffer at 5 m/s

Answers: (408 mm, 8.12 bar)


Homework Equations



PV^gamma=C

The Attempt at a Solution



I've worked the initial volume to be 1.57m^3, but other than that I'm not sure how to go about the question. I'm assuming that the compression is adiabatic? Is this a correct assumption? Also how to I convert the momentum of the train into something I can use to calculate the answers?

Thanks for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh snap. Just realized I can turn it into kinetic energy haha, Ill try that