How does a laser rangefinder work?

In summary, a laser rangefinder works by shooting a light pulse and measuring the time it takes for the light to reach its target. By knowing the speed of light, you can calculate the distance.
DariusP
Summary: Laser rangefinder (distance meter) working principle

Hello, could anyone explain to me (or direct to) how a laser rangefinder/distance meter works?

I want to learn about it in as much detail as possible. All I could find so far were very premature explanations telling me that a laser shoots a light pulse and knowing the speed of light is able to calculate the distance.

I want more information and I want it to be as much in-depth as possible (physics and electronics behind it (+ how the electronics themselves work), how the signal is processed, etc).

If you ever saw and remember where I could find useful information then please direct me to it (or maybe you have a good understanding and could explain it here).

Science news on Phys.org
DariusP said:

Hello, could anyone explain to me (or direct to) how a laser rangefinder/distance meter works?

I want to learn about it in as much detail as possible. All I could find so far were very premature explanations telling me that a laser shoots a light pulse and knowing the speed of light is able to calculate the distance.

I want more information and I want it to be as much in-depth as possible (physics and electronics behind it (+ how the electronics themselves work), how the signal is processed, etc).

If you ever saw and remember where I could find useful information then please direct me to it (or maybe you have a good understanding and could explain it here).

Google is your friend, although you are asking rather technical questions- for example, how to reject off-target reflections/scattering. How about if you start by figuring out how precise the internal clock needs to be to obtain a measurement accuracy of 0.1m?

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/10/29/how-do-rangefinders-work/

DariusP said:

I want more information and I want it to be as much in-depth as possible
You want a complete instruction guide plus circuit diagrams and construction details? Is that a realistic expectation? PF is a discussion forum and not a teaching institution.
If you read around about the problem and have some specific questions arising from your research you will find PF a valuable source of specific help and advice.

Ok, I will ask a simpler question then: does anyone know what parts constitute a laser distance meter/rangefinder?

I can probably try and deduce how each part works by myself.

If you had read the first paragraph or two in either of the references provided, you would already know the answers:

A piece which generates light.
A piece which senses light.
A piece which measures the time between the one and the other.

• Informative
Likes jrmichler, Vanadium 50, sophiecentaur and 1 other person
@jbriggs444 I had to smile.
I wonder if the website Howthingswork could help here.

I don't know what's up with these useless replies... not the first time too. Maybe people here are already stuck in post count addiction? Anyway - if anyone will ever come around this thread, feel free to visit this link I found:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/sbau305a/sbau305a.pdf
I'm sure you'll find something useful there

DariusP said:
I don't know what's up with these useless replies... not the first time too. Maybe people here are already stuck in post count addiction?
We try to help folks learn how to learn, not just spoonfeed them answers. Honestly, you showed so little effort of your own in this thread. Right up to posting that good link in your final post in this thread.

Thread is closed.

Likes davenn

1. How does a laser rangefinder measure distance?

A laser rangefinder works by emitting a laser beam towards the target and measuring the time it takes for the beam to bounce back. By multiplying the time by the speed of light, the device can calculate the distance between the rangefinder and the target.

2. What is the accuracy of a laser rangefinder?

The accuracy of a laser rangefinder depends on various factors such as the quality of the device, atmospheric conditions, and the reflectivity of the target. Generally, most laser rangefinders have an accuracy of +/- 1 yard.

3. How does a laser rangefinder account for slope or incline?

Some laser rangefinders have a feature called "slope mode" which takes into account the angle of incline or decline between the device and the target. This allows for a more accurate measurement of the horizontal distance to the target rather than the straight line distance.

4. Can a laser rangefinder be used in low light conditions?

Yes, most laser rangefinders have a built-in light amplifier that allows them to be used in low light conditions. However, extreme darkness or foggy conditions may affect the accuracy of the device.

5. How do I ensure the accuracy of my laser rangefinder?

To ensure the accuracy of your laser rangefinder, it is important to regularly calibrate the device according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is also important to use the device in optimal conditions, such as clear weather and reflective targets, to get the most accurate readings.