How does a magnetic feild work?

In summary, Magnetic fields are not attracted to each other, but rather produce forces on moving electric charges. Quantum Electrodynamics explains magnetic fields as part of electromagnetism, along with electric fields.
peron
This is a question which I can't seem to find a answer to.

How does a magnetic field physically attract another magnetic field? I mean does Quantum Electrodynamics explain magnetic fields as well as the EM force? Or is it some kind of different quantum field theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
peron said:
How does a magnetic field physically attract another magnetic field? I mean does Quantum Electrodynamics explain magnetic fields as well as the EM force? Or is it some kind of different quantum field theory?

If you expect you will know the "physical" meaning of the magnetic field better using the Quantum Electrodynamics (QED), it will be difficult, I think.
Because the magnetic field of QED also satisfies the Maxwell's equation which is the same as the classical electrodynamics.

For example, the difference between QED and the classical electrodynamics is the existence of the virtual photon and particles.

But we must use the unimaginable idea of the infinite bare charge and mass of the renormalization theory.

The "mathematical" property becomes much stronger in QED.
I think we seem to go away from the actual "physical" imaging of the magnetic field in QED.
Actually, when you open the textbook of QED, there are many "mathematical" wavefunctions in them.

peron said:
How does a magnetic field physically attract another magnetic field?

Magnetic fields don't "attract other magnetic fields." They produce forces on moving electric charges (electric currents), and are themselves produced by moving electric charges.

I mean does Quantum Electrodynamics explain magnetic fields as well as the EM force?

Magnetic fields are part of electromagnetism, along with electric fields. Quantum electrodynamics covers both of them.

1. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created when electrically charged particles, such as electrons, move within a conductive material or when a permanent magnet is present. These moving charges create an invisible force that surrounds the material or magnet, known as a magnetic field.

2. What causes a magnetic field to interact with other objects?

Magnetic fields interact with other objects because they exert a force on other magnetic materials or on charged particles moving within the field. This force causes the objects to either attract or repel each other, depending on the orientation of their magnetic poles.

3. How does a magnetic field affect the behavior of charged particles?

Charged particles, such as electrons, are affected by magnetic fields because they have a property called magnetic moment, which is a measure of their ability to interact with magnetic fields. When a charged particle moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force that causes it to change direction or spin, depending on the direction of the field.

4. How can a magnetic field be used in technology?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in technology, such as in motors, generators, and transformers. They can also be used in data storage devices, like hard drives, and in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines. Additionally, magnetic fields are essential for generating electricity through the process of electromagnetic induction.

5. How can a magnetic field be manipulated or controlled?

Magnetic fields can be manipulated or controlled by changing the strength or direction of the current flowing through a conductive material or by using a magnet with a different polarity. Additionally, certain materials, such as ferromagnetic materials, can be magnetized or demagnetized to alter the strength of their magnetic fields.