How Does a Satellite Maintain a Stationary Position Above Earth?

In summary, a geo-stationary satellite remains in a stationary position above Earth's equator at a distance of 35,700 km because it has the same angular speed as Earth's rotation and is balanced by forces in that orbit. If it were closer or farther away, it would not be able to maintain this position.
ilkjester

Homework Statement

The weather pictures you see every day on TV come from a spacecraft in a stationary position relative to the surface of Earth, 35,700 km above Earths equator. Explain how it can stay exactly in position day after day. What would happen if it were closer? Farther out?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I was thinking that a spacecraft would be going the same exact speed as the orbit of Earth except in the opposite direction. But then i realized that couldn't be it. Because it still wouldn't follow the same place on Earth it would just be in the same place in space. So while i was just typing this i thought it would be going the same speed as in the orbit Earth in the same direction. And sort of like following it.

Physics news on Phys.org
These are called geo-stationary satellites. You are now on the correct track, I presume.
Hint : You know angular speed with which Earth rotates. Satellite must have the same. The satellite has to remain stable in that orbit. Thus, forces must be balanced on it. Do it, to get the required distance. Furthermore, looking at the same equation .. you should be possible to answer the remaining part. (Well, you can apply common sense of nature as well -- everything proceeds towards stability.)

So, to answer the question, a satellite in a stationary position relative to the surface of Earth, 35,700 km above Earth's equator, is able to stay in that position day after day because of its geostationary orbit. This means that the satellite is orbiting at the same speed and direction as the rotation of Earth, allowing it to appear stationary from our perspective on Earth. This is possible due to the balance between the satellite's centripetal force, caused by its orbital velocity, and the gravitational force of Earth pulling it towards the center.

If the satellite were closer to Earth, it would have a shorter orbital period and would appear to move faster from our perspective. This would make it difficult to constantly receive and transmit accurate weather data. On the other hand, if the satellite were farther out, its orbital period would be longer and it would appear to move slower. This could result in delays in receiving and transmitting data, as well as potential issues with maintaining a stable orbit. Therefore, the specific distance of 35,700 km is crucial for a geostationary satellite to effectively gather and transmit weather data.

Related to How Does a Satellite Maintain a Stationary Position Above Earth?

What is satellite homework help?

Satellite homework help is a service that provides assistance with homework assignments related to satellites. This can include topics such as satellite technology, communication, and applications.

Why do I need satellite homework help?

Satellite homework can be complex and require a deep understanding of the subject matter. Seeking help from experts can improve your understanding and help you complete your homework more effectively.

What topics are covered in satellite homework help?

Satellite homework help can cover a wide range of topics, including satellite orbits, launch vehicles, communication protocols, remote sensing, and satellite applications such as weather forecasting and GPS navigation.

How can I find a reliable satellite homework help service?

You can find a reliable satellite homework help service by researching the company's credentials, reviews from previous clients, and the qualifications and experience of their tutors. You can also ask for recommendations from peers or teachers.

Is satellite homework help considered cheating?

No, satellite homework help is not considered cheating as long as the assistance you receive is used to enhance your understanding and not to complete the assignment for you. It is important to cite any sources used in your homework to avoid plagiarism.