How Does Angular Velocity Vary from Top to Bottom of a Tower on the Equator?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
StephenDoty
Messages
261
Reaction score
0
A 300m tower is built on the equator. How much faster does a point at the top of the tower move than a point at the bottom?

The Earth is 6400km
thus c=2pi * 6400000m
and c of the top of the tower is c= 2pi *6400300m

Now what?

Thanks.

Stephen
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you use the period of 24hr for both the Earth angular velocity and the tower angular velocity?
I need the period for the tower to solve the problem
 
since
angular velocity= 2pi r/ period

how do I find the period of the tower so I can find the angular velocity of the tower and subtract it from the angular velocity of the earth?