Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does antiferromagnetism occur?

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    Can someone explain this in simple terms to me? I know it's because the spins on neighbouring atoms anti-align - but WHY do they anti-align instead of align, as is the case in ferromagnetism?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2
  4. Jun 14, 2010 #3
    I found a good explanation, but there is one part I don't understand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetism

about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way down under "quantum mechanical origins of magnetism"

I.e., not only uA and uB must be substituted by α and β, respectively (the first entity means "spin up", the second one "spin down"), but also the sign + by the − sign, and finally ri by the discrete values si (= ±½); thereby we have α( + 1 / 2) = β( − 1 / 2) = 1 and α( − 1 / 2) = β( + 1 / 2) = 0. The "singlet state", i.e. the - sign, means: the spins are antiparallel, i.e. for the solid we have antiferromagnetism, and for two-atomic molecules one has diamagnetism.

why does α( + 1 / 2) = β( − 1 / 2) = 1 ? and what does it mean by "(the first entity means "spin up", the second one "spin down")" - how is alpha representing spin up? In that notation alpha is a function?

5. Jun 15, 2010 #4
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook