1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does Band Gap and Refractive index relate to Wavelength?

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Nobel prize for physics for blue laser diode using Gallium Nitride with band gap of 3.4 eV and a refractive index of 2.429.
    Explain how these parameters determine at what wavelength a Gallium Nitride semiconductor will laser at.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] E=\frac{hc}{\lambda} [/itex]
    Blue wavelength ## \approx 445 nm ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    This equation will give the energy band gap wavelength. But how does the refractive index factor into this? I know it changes the velocity that the light moves through the medium.
    I found this article: https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-relation-between-bandgap-the-extinction-coefficient-and-the-index-of-refraction [Broken]
    But I'm still not sure how to answer the question.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When light goes from one medium to another, it's wavelength changes.

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    Using the equations I can get:
    [itex]E=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex]
    [itex]\lambda=\frac{hc}{E}=\frac{1240~eV~nm}{3.4~eV} \approx 365~nm[/itex]
    The velocity of the light changes in the medium by [itex]v=\frac{c}{n}[/itex] replacing c in the above by the velocity in the medium gives
    [itex]\lambda=\frac{hv}{E}=\frac{hc}{nE}=\frac{1240~eV~nm}{(2.429)(3.4)~eV} \approx 150~nm[/itex]

I don't see how this gives blue light of 445 nm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted