How does buoyancy affect the scale reading when an iron block is submerged in oil?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
jesuslovesu
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
A 1-kg beaker containing 2 kg of oil(density = 916 kg/m^3) rests on a scale. A 2kg block of iron is suspended from a spring scale and completely submerged in the oil. Find the equilibruim readings of both scales.

For the bottom scale, I can find the weight, 29.4 N of the beaker and oil, but I'm not sure how to calculate how much weight the iron block contributes. I know buoyancy force = p*V*g but how would affect the weight on the scale?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: If the liquid pushes up (buoyant force) on the iron what is the reaction force acting on the liquid?
 
any more help? I am working with my daughter trying to solve this.
 
So one more cry for help. How do I calculate the reading on the lower and upper scale given what I know in the problem stated above?

Thanks!