How does decompression affect the number of particles in a confined gas?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter intervoxel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
intervoxel
Messages
192
Reaction score
1
Hi,
I'm trying to assemble a function describing the decompression of an ideal gas in a infinitely long box of side L. The gas is initially confined in a volume [tex]L^3[/tex] at one end.

So far I got the following formula which gives the time the i-th particle takes to reach the barrier at x=L:

[tex] t_i = \frac{2 L - x_i}{\overline{v} \cos(a_i)}[/tex]

where

[tex]x_i[/tex] is a random variable between 0 and L
[tex]a_i[/tex] is a random variable between 0 and [tex]\pi /2[/tex]
[tex]\overline{v}[/tex] is the average speed of a gas particle

What I need is [tex]n(t) = f(N, L, \overline{v},t)[/tex]

where

N is the total number of particles
n(t) is the the number of particles in the original volume [tex]L^3[/tex] after time t

Please, help. I'm stuck a long time in this.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see a mechanism which could change ##n(t)##. Also it might be reasonable to work with a ball instead of a cube. As given, the problem is insufficiently explained.