Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does Excel anticipate a sampling distribution using just one sample?

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I know that Standard Error of a coefficient is the standard deviation of the sampling distribution associated with the coefficient. I understand the concept.

What puzzles me is this: We have just one random sample to work with. The calculator or Excel doesn’t have any info on the actual population or any other sample. Then how can it anticipate a sampling distribution and calculate its standard deviation to give us the Standard Error?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2
    The standard error of the mean is [itex] SE = s/\sqrt {n} [/itex] where s is the sample standard deviation. In other words you are estimating the population [itex]\sigma[/itex] from the sample of size n. The concept is that a truly random sample can yield a valid estimate of [itex]\sigma[/itex]. Obviously, as an estimate, it can be refined by additional sampling. The Central Limit Theorem states that the estimates of the mean will tend toward a normal distribution regardless of the population distribution. It's clear that the SE declines with increasing n for fixed s.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    Thanks SW VandeCarr.

I thought SE is the std dev of the sampling distribution.

5. Jan 27, 2012 #4
    Yes, but that's not the same as the sd of the individual sample. The terminology is a bit confusing. I suggest you look it up.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook